• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Facelift

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some photos of the MEP-003A GenSet that I picked up at Ft Jackson a few months ago. It was in virtually perfect condition, except for the batteries, some rusty screws on the control panel and some surface rust on the trailer in a few places. There was also a broken brake line, easily repaired. I replaced the batteries with Exide Orbital batteries, which has worked out very well. I'm actually still using the diesel fuel that was in the tank when I picked it up.

A couple of weeks ago, I replaced the rusty screws and some rusty bolts with stainless steel replacements, which I believe really dressed up the appearance, and for me at zero cost . It is difficult to see the difference in the photos. The trailer had new tires, a new cover and a complete tool kit with all tools and supplies as well. It even had a brand new box of un-opened copper ground rods. I will use the generator as a whole-house back-up, coupled to a new square D 400 Amp four pole manual transfer switch I found on E-bay.

Replacing the screws with stainless replacements only took a few minutes and really helped the appearance. Others may want to replace their GenSet screws as well, as most of the GenSets I've seen at GL have some rusty or even totally corroded screws and bolts.

I plan to sandblast and re-paint the trailer this summer.

IMG_3141.jpg
IMG_3142.jpg
IMG_3144.jpg
IMG_3145.jpg
IMG_3146.jpg
IMG_3147.jpg
IMG_3148.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks nice.

I finally got a starter relay for mine after 6+ months and plan to try firing it up this weekend. I could always get it to run but as soon as you release the "start" knob, no matter how long it was running, it would die.

Still need to find a cover for mine. Looks like your's was pretty much complete.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary,

That's a really nice looking set!!!!

When I finally get around to mounting one of mine on it's trailer and doing the floodlights, I'll post pics and a vid...could be a while though.

mkcoen, let us know how that relay works out...I know you have been searching for a while.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint is very good on the generator. It will look much better once I get the trailer sandblasted and painted. The most important thing is that it runs well. It has very low hours, so I hope that continues.