• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003a frequency fluctuation and fuel leak.

oldgenset

Hi everyone, I have not been on for quite some time, too busy I guess.
Anyway, I was running the generator the other day and on a light load the frequency meter started jumping from 60 hz to almost pegging the meter. The motor did not sound like it was changing rpm. So First question is what can cause this?

Then yesterday I started it again, the same HZ issue happening. As I looked around the unit I saw fuel dripping. It was coming from the fitting near the oil pressure gauge near the gen set and it looked like It might be dripping from the fitting at the injector pump. Its not a stream but every 2-3 seconds a drop is there. These are the original hoses. Can a leaking hose cause the the engine to fluctuate? I need to replace the hoses, what are you using for hose replacement, Just a rubber fuel line,
the braided poly type fuel lines or metal? Any sources you have found cheaper than others?

Thanks for your help, As always the site and its members are Great.

May you all have a Merry Christmas.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everyone, I have not been on for quite some time, too busy I guess.
Anyway, I was running the generator the other day and on a light load the frequency meter started jumping from 60 hz to almost pegging the meter. The motor did not sound like it was changing rpm. So First question is what can cause this?

Then yesterday I started it again, the same HZ issue happening. As I looked around the unit I saw fuel dripping. It was coming from the fitting near the oil pressure gauge near the gen set and it looked like It might be dripping from the fitting at the injector pump. Its not a stream but every 2-3 seconds a drop is there. These are the original hoses. Can a leaking hose cause the the engine to fluctuate? I need to replace the hoses, what are you using for hose replacement, Just a rubber fuel line,
the braided poly type fuel lines or metal? Any sources you have found cheaper than others?

Thanks for your help, As always the site and its members are Great.

May you all have a Merry Christmas.
If fuel is leaking out , air is also getting into the system , so yes it could cause the rpms to fluctuate , but more likely will cause a hard start.

I like using push-lock fittings with rubber hose rated for fuel , the original cost may be slightly higher than a cheap hose but the fittings are reuseable and simple to use. It also helps that I got a Parker dealer within 5 miles of me.

Guyfang

Staff member
If the leak is bad enough to cause fluctuations, then you would hear it. And the engine would not run faster, but slower. So the freq. meter would go down, as the AC voltage would also sink. A slightly better bet would be unstable AC input on the freq. transducer. And my first bet would be the transducer. Fix the leak, but I don't think it's the problem with the freq. meter. Also, what did your AC volt meter read? Or use a multimeter. A bad AC volt regulator, ( over voltage problem) would cause the the hertz meter to go up.

Dock Rocker

Fix the fuel leak so you can completely rule that out. I doubt the two issues are related but it’s an easy fix and it rules that problem out.

Next put a meter on it and rule out that the gage is lying to you.

Once you know it’s not fuel or gage related the. You can get to the real trouble shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk