• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Gen Head

Mrfeeney

Purchased a MEP-003A from GL. Cleaned it up and serviced everything, motor ran fine but no out put, finally got time to tear into it and found an open winding on the gen stator. Anyone have any experience with costs associated with getting one re-wound or might it be cheaper to pick up a used one?

Have the engine pulled and the stator separated waiting for Monday to get some quotes at a couple of different local motor shops.

3dAngus

Please pass on the information when you get it. There are several who would like to know the final outcome. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can answer your questions. Subscribed.

Triple Jim

I am also interested in what you learn. The local motor rebuilding shop owner told me that it's not practical to rebuild a motor rated at less than 100 HP these days.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also interested in what you learn. The local motor rebuilding shop owner told me that it's not practical to rebuild a motor rated at less than 100 HP these days.
For an AC motor, that is true. But this isn't exactly an AC motor. It is a generator head...Edit: kind of true, I would say it is still economical to rebuild motors from 30 HP and ip

You'll not find a brand new one out there for less than the cost of the rebuild.

You might find a NOS one for less than the cost of the rebuild, but unlikely.

You can find aftermarket gen heads to put on your engine with some work, but you won't have the heavy duty build or capabilities of the OEM head.

My recommendation would be try to find a good used one somewhere...Maybe Delks Army Navy or another member on the board here. If that doesn't pan out, bite the bullet and pay for the rebuild.

Last edited:

Munchies

There was a bunch of these that went surplus in 2012 :(

CME arma in Miama have complete 60hz genheads.
6115-01-050-5485

CME arma lists 100 complete stator assemblies in stock as well

6115-01-058-1119

010581119.jpg

Last edited:

Mrfeeney

Started calling around today and didn't get any bites, either "too small a job" or "we don't really want to get into anything military" I forgot to mention the Onan connection. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Storeman, I sent an email to the lead you listed.

glassk, I looked at the link you sent and they are in Canada, might be a last resort but shipping and customs would be a pain I'm afraid.

Munchies, I am looking at the outfit you mentioned now, it appears they want me to fax them a request...wonder if they would rather a stone tablet? LOL

Thanks all for the leads, continuing the search, expanding to the Houston area.

Munchies

I emailed the guy above too. he is not too fqar from me, and I have a job coming up near him in a few weeks. SOunds like he has 002a stators and 003 rotors.

I hate dealing with mil/aerospace nos/surplus places. Everything has to be on a **** RFQ and be faxed or submitted on a form and this and that.
Hopefully they are not too sky high on prices.

Get the winding specs from the TM and just start sending it off to places looking for quotes.

profo

As Munchies said I have a few 002 stators and a few 003 rotors NOS but no 002 rotors or 003 stators I am willing to trade either so I can make complete sets also, for a lil more info, you can put a mep003a stator/rotor assy on a mep 002 engine it will work but you will only get about 8200 watts out of max because you are limited by the horsepower of the engine. You will also have to modify the mounting area for the generator to be used on the original military frame. I have made a few generators for my family and make my own frames and just use aftermaker regulators for about 40 bucks and dynagen controlers (Gsc 300)(does the start stop preheat oil check etc, for about 200 bucks, and a key transmitter from MCM electronics that way it can be wireless start capabilty no wires to run and can start about 150 feet away remotely.

generator.jpg

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm very curious now, after reading that the motor shops you called didn't want it. I'm going to take the specs from the TM's and some pics sometime and let the shop our steel mill uses have a look at them and see what they say. There is also another shop close by, I might get their opinion as well.

1800 Diesel

If you can't locate one, I have an MEP-003A that's supposed to have been a good unit that the oil pump went out...just haven't had the time to test anything--too many other units being worked at the time.

Kevin

rons

Don't know if you ever solved your generator woes but i am parting out three mep003's and one has a brand new end on it. NSN still stamped on stator. Let me know if i can help out with any parts.

profo

mep003 stators

Thanks Ron;
I got pretty much got everything working write now, but I am looking for the stator(outside part) for a mep003 for a spare to keep on hand this is the part on the generator that bolts to the back of the engine with the three cables coming out two big ones and one small one I don't need the rotor but if you would like to include it let me know sometimes its **** to get out without scratching the windings. I basically built all my own generators my self I had bought the engines and alternator ends at GL separately and assembled everything thing else using after market regulators, chargers and stuff they work great and finally have most of my family already for the next big hurricane. Send me a message what you looking to get for them. This is what it looks like;

generator.jpgmep stator.jpg

Thanks Marty

Don't know if you ever solved your generator woes but i am parting out three mep003's and one has a brand new end on it. NSN still stamped on stator. Let me know if i can help out with any parts.

rons

Marty, Nice work! You do the aluminum welding?? Nice! I have the piece you refer to in pic. I would rather let the new one stay together. And I do have a different one i would separate but I don't know what the part you want is worth. Make me an offer and ill get it to you. Would like to help. Thanks, Ron

profo

Marty, Nice work! You do the aluminum welding?? Nice! I have the piece you refer to in pic. I would rather let the new one stay together. And I do have a different one i would separate but I don't know what the part you want is worth. Make me an offer and ill get it to you. Would like to help. Thanks, Ron
Would you sell the stator for 250 thats what I bought some complete stators with rotors for.

MArty