• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003a generator prob

frank riley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have all the voltages on the voltmeter. nothing on the freq meter or Amp meter. also the bat charging is less than required to keep batteries charged. batteries do drain when left connected. A3?

Chainbreaker

Is this unit new to you? Any history on it?

The frequency transducer is notorious for going bad. If you have access to a Kill-A-Watt meter you can plug it in to the genset's convenience outlet and read frequency, voltage, etc. Very handy to have one as a backup and as a bonus you can plug it into an inside house receptacle to monitor Voltage/Freq if using genset for backup during pwr outage to monitor from house. Also, you want to set the RPM's by showing ~ 61-62 Hz without an electrical load on unit to allow for loaded droop.

Yes, there is parasitic drain on the batteries due to capacitors being energized. Best to install a battery disconnect unless you keep unit on a battery maintainer.

Also, have you downloaded the TM's yet? If not, they can be found at the top of screen here. Just select the TM section and there is a list.

Chainbreaker

Also, have you checked the DC voltage regulator/rectifier & its fuse? Could be contributing to low batteries, etc.

In the XXXX....-24P Tech Manual its located on "printed pg" # 122-123 of manual (PDF page # is slightly different).

Last edited:

Ray70

I've seen dozens of those sets with bad transducers. You have 2 choices, replace the Hz. gage with a direct read analog or digital gage ( available for as little as $20 ) and ditch the transducer, or there used to be NOS newer style transducers for 802/803 machines on ebay for $12. ( L.I.T.D found them ) They work just the same, all you have to do is drill slightly different mounting holes in your control cube.
On the transducer output, it's a milliamp output, so you need to put your meter on DC current and in line with the meter. On the face of the meter you will see the FS ( Full Swing ) 200uA in the bottom right corner, so 200uA will give you 65Hz and 100uA will give you 60Hz.

Guyfang

Staff member
We ran 24/7, 365 days a year. So I Always kept 2-3 foot lockers of "Extra" stuff on hand. Easy to make disappear, but always on hand. There was never less then 3-4 of the A3's and meters in my box. Weak part. I would get a direct read meter and be done with it. BUT, if so, take the time to put some heat shrink or plastic caps on the Meter terminals. Keep in mind, 120 volts can spice up your life. When the set came from rebuild, or new, the AC volt meter had plastic caps on the terminals. They are a good idea. Ask me how I know. Or better, how many time I got reminded.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks