• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Hooked Up

Sundance

:-D Had an electrician help with the final hook up yesterday and its working great!!!!

Had the central air, 4 refrigerators, multiple lights and by accident the dish washer all running off the geny. The meter showed it was running at 55% capacity.

Speddmon your posts helped immensley with the final wiring and grounding.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Sundance, I'm glad to know I was able to help. I take it then, that you were able to get a voltage regulator and get it working properly?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coyote,

What kind of problem are you having? describe what it's doing/not doing

coyotegray

Coyote,

What kind of problem are you having? describe what it's doing/not doing
The battery voltage slowly increases into the red past 24 volts and after about 5 min. it eventually pegs the volt meter on the panel. My volt meter will give a reading of around 32+ volts.

Andy..

coyotegray

:-D Had an electrician help with the final hook up yesterday and its working great!!!!

Had the central air, 4 refrigerators, multiple lights and by accident the dish washer all running off the geny. The meter showed it was running at 55% capacity.

Speddmon your posts helped immensley with the final wiring and grounding.
These 003's are great ..... My house is around 1800sq ft. With all the lights on, all computers, Frig and freezer in the garage, a small room AC, all TV's, the central AC Compressor running and the dryer on it was at about 80%... Of course under normal circumstances we don’t have all that on at the same time but I wanted to see how much of a load it could take. I think the only thing we will not be able to run normally is the electric stove/oven....

I have the aux fuel source connected to a 55gal drum so I have several days of fuel to run on during an ice storm, etc……

Andy..

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coyote,

That's an impressive load to have on the generator. However you might be surprised how much cooking you could do with it as well. If you loose power due to an ice storm, you will not be using the central air or the room AC, and as long as you don't dry any clothes while you're baking a cake you should easily be able use your stove/oven with it.

As to your voltage regulator, it sure does sound like a bad regulator, I assume you've checked the batteries and they are both good (no shorted plates). Running at 1800 RPM, the alternator should be putting out 30-35 volts AC. According to the TM with good batteries, the charge rate should be no more than 6.5 amps. If it is for sure your regulator, you could probably find a civi 24 volt 10 to 15 amp regulator that will work in place of the original one. I'm sure the surplus dealers have them out there, but how much they will want for one is beyond me.