• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a Info appreciated

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I'm a new member and have been browsing the threads for a while now. Ever since I decided to try to purchase a military surplus gen-set for my home back-up power. I was lucky enough to purchace a couple of MEP-003a 10KW Gen-sets recently from Govliquidation, just waiting for the EUC to clear so I can make the trip to Chambersburg, PA to pick them up.

I have been reading a lot of information about these particular models in preparation for my purchase and eventual win in the auction. I've found great info about civilian part numbers for all of the filters necesssary to "tune-up" the gen-set, but I do have a couple of questions still. One is about the existance of a spin-on oil filter adapter for the engine. Please see the quote from a post by "Bill W"

I did search the archives and found nothing though I did get Devilmans spinon oil filter adpt #
I guess my question about this is, does such an adapter exist and if so does anybody have the part numbers and where I could purchase one?

My next question is about Oil type. I regularly use 15w-40 diesel oil in my farm equipment, and I've seen other threads in this site and others about using it in these gen-sets. However, being in the industrial maintenance field I know it's not wise to use multi viscosity oils like this in air cooled engines due to the extra heat produced. Something about premature breakdown. So I would like information from anybody about the proper oil type to use or what is recommended for these particular engines. I would hate to put the time and money into my new toy only to have it through a rod or something tragic like that.

Also, I do have all three tech manuals in PDF format so if anybody else is looking for them, let me know and I can send them on.

Thanks in advance to any replies, and after I pick them up I'll post pics and progress with getting them to produce power.

Speedy

LanceRobson

The DOD uses 15W40 in just about everything with Diesel engines. They don't seem to have breakdown issues. Part of the reason though, is a desire to stock the fewest number of lubricants.

Onan made the engines. Shoot a call or email to their Tech Dept and see what they say.

Lance

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info Lance. I tried looking on Onan's web site but I couldn't find enough technical infomation to make a decision. I guess a call is a great idea.

Any Idea about the spin-on oil filter adapter???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks