• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a NAPA fuel filter

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to change out my fuel filters on my 003 with Napa filters. The wiki page list a Napa 3113 fuel filter but when comparing it with the military filter, it's a good 1/4" shorter. Will this work?

Attachments

RIrvin

Had this same issue on two MEP's. I was able to cut cork gasket material into shape of large "washer" / gasket to provide spacer to close size gap for NAPA fuel filter.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is spring loaded but I'm unsure if it's enough to make up the difference.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After close inspection, a NAPA 3113 will not seal properly without also adding some sort of spacer.

I'm going to edit the wiki page to say as such.

1800 Diesel

After close inspection, a NAPA 3113 will not seal properly without also adding some sort of spacer. I'm going to edit the wiki page to say as such.
It took me awhile to search & locate this thread but I wanted to add a few details that will reinforce m16ty's concerns about the NAPA 3113 filter dimensions. I got an MEP-002A in a few days ago and started doing the standard fuel system maintenance and installed two new NAPA 3113 filters (have two cases of these I need to use up). The unit had Torite #8085s installed but they were in pretty bad shape and the fuel tank had 2" of sludge in it. Right after I installed the filters I had a recollection of this thread so I decided to remove the two NAPA 3113s and do some measuring. (First thing I noticed is that no impression was seen in the lower or upper cork gaskets.)

Measurements of three different brand filters as follows:
(The first value is the filter body height & the second value includes the upper & lower (cork) gasket thicknesses.

BALDWIN PF906-- 3.37" 3.63"
NAPA 3113-- 3.47" 3.72"
TORITE 8085-- 3.64" 3.88"

The Torite filters that I removed had an impression in both upper & lower corks gaskets. I measured the "crushed height" in way of the impressions--it came out between 3.76" & 3.78". In order to safely use the NAPA 3113 filters in my inventory I decided to install an extra cork gasket (they measure 0.125" thick) on the bottom side of the filter. Of interest is that the Baldwin filter comes with an extra cork gasket that's about 0.25" thick so they must know something about the dimensional issue with their filters. (Cheaper to provide an extra cork than building a taller filter housing?)

Using the extra .125" gasket provides a total height of the NAPA filter about 3.85"--much closer to the Torite filter height and enough height to make good contact with the gaskets. I'm actually planning to contact NAPA about this as well as Baldwin since their filters are even shorter than the NAPA.

In the near future I'll locate a source for Fram C1125PL filters which has a published height of 3.813". I don't know if that includes gasket thicknesses or not but at least it's much closer to the Torite filter height and should make good contact top & bottom.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good info for all. I personally use the Fram units, but its nice to know there are other options.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks