• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003a spin-on fuel filter conversion completed

helomedic1171

First off, let me just say it's a little shocking to see how many 8xx generator threads there are, compared to a couple years ago. It was bound to happen, of course, but still surprising when I logged in. I guess I should either look for a couple parts unit 003a sets or start shopping for an 803! :-?

Next, I wanted to post up some photos (which aren't working at the moment) of my recent spin-on fuel filter conversion. I work on two MEP 003a gensets, one is mine, the other is my Dad's. Recently, we had a hurricane, (or two?) so I spent a day or more per storm prepping my Dad's gennie for service. Mine cranks and runs like a champ every time, my Dad's always has something wrong with it because he doesn't do PM, so I wind up having to fix it.

Hermine raised the issue of disgusting fuel pumps, so I cleaned and freshened those buggers up, and they ran his set with no issues. Along came Matthew, and no his unit won't start, fuel starvation. so two days before landfall, I'm out in Dad's back yard, dismantling the fuel filters, and find the dreaded gummed-up, gunky nasty filters. I think I have photos of them, but imagine all three canisters full of red clay-like stuff inside. it's no wonder the **** thing wouldn't run.

So, I hit the local O'Rielly's and after almost two hours of looking, crossing, and cussing, I found some suitable parts to make this puppy work. I hope. Part numbers I used:

Wix# 24309 (2): These are the actual bases. they have a mounting flange with three holes to fit 5/16" bolts, and the nipple is threaded 1"-12 so it will fit a good number of filters. In/Out are both 1/2" NPT.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=73548

Wix/MicroGuard# 33123 (1): This is the primary filter Fuel/water Separator I used/will be using soon. more explanation below.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=78367

Wix# 33121 (1): These are 30 micron filters I used as secondary filters. They worked great, even when I used two in series when my primary leaked. more on that later.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=77890

Edelmann# 210840 (4): the fittings I used to adapt the 1/2" NPT inlet and outlets of the bases to the -6AN to 1/4" NPT fittings from the fuel filter housing assemblies. You'll need 4 of these. I forgot to order them when I ordered my bases and filters, and I only had one on hand. I wound up making my own out of a 1/2" NPT plug and two 1/2" NPT-to 1/8" NPT reducers. I drilled them out with a 31/64 bit and then tapped them with a 1/4" NPT tap. Needless to say, I ordered some for the second generator.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...fittings_-1_4705&keyword=pipe+thread+fittings

I used the Microguard because it was much easier to acquire with an impending storm bearing down on us, so I went with them. Also, Wix makes MicroGuard, so it has to be the same, right? Wrong. The MicroGuard filter leaked after a day of use, and then when I replaced it with a brand-new filter out of the box, it leaked immediately. Both filters leaked from the petcock at the bottom of the filter. Temporarily, I replaced the primary with another secondary filter, and the genset ran fine for 72 hours straight until we got power back. I've since ordered the Wix filter of the same part number, and it should be here in a couple of days. I still have the original canisters, and I even put new filter inserts in them simply because I had them. I figured if my quick-and-dirty conversion didn't do the trick, at least I have new filters and freshly-cleaned housings to put back on the genset.

I'll update with photos when i get them working, and also with a progress report when i put the new primary filter on. Next project is a spin-on oil filter. I've been messing with the Wix# 24124 kit, and it hasn't really worked out so far. I only paid $15 when I bought it last year, so it's not the end of the world, but it has given me a slow oil leak since I started using it. I'm ready to throw the old canister back on just to stop the leak while I figure out what to so. I've PMd Speddemon about one of his kits, so we'll see what happens. At least I know his kits don't leak when applied, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Here's the Wix kit I'm talking about:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=29302

more to follow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks