• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a won't crank

Ray70

Good idea. If the disc is reversible then go ahead and flip it over. Unfortunately the TM and service manuals I have don't show an exploded view of the solenoid, only the starter motor. If you bring the disc to work and polish it make sure to ask if it prefers mint or cherry polish before starting! rofl

Roger O

So, turns our there were several issues I had to deal with. Fortunately StreveH (a Steel Soldiers member) came over today, and with his expert help I am back up and running.

The original starter solenoid had a badly corroded disk and the plastic retaining ring on the solenoid shaft was cracked. So instead of trying to fix it, I got a new Onan replacement starter/solenoid combination from DB Electrical. Problem was, after installation, it was drawing an extremely high current the battery connection sparked greatly, and it would not crank. Steve diagnosed it as a connector problem and turns out there was a crack in the ground lug and the battery positive terminal was not tight enough. After replacing one lug, and tightening all the connections, it started without a problem. Of course this was after removing the new starter and bench testing it.

I can't say enough good things about SteveH. He traveled to my home on his day off, was there when I needed help and his knowledge and logical approach enabled the situation to be resolved easily. He is a true gentleman, and now friend. He is the definition of what every friend should be.

Thanks again to all of you for your great advice, and once again to SteveH.

Roger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks