• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-004 shutters

jbk

i just got this unit going i had some injector trouble and a bad fuel float switch.
i have those taken care of for now. i just ran it for about 30 min. temp. got it up to 160 for a few min. the shutters never began opening. do i not have it hot enough? i shut it down and the element at the bottom rad. hose is all the way in just as when cold. its about 75 degrees here today i just thought they should a least begin to open but i dont know to much about these gen. looked in both tms and it doesnt tell you when they begin opening. thanks jim

PeterD

Definitely try to open and close them with the lever... Mine was frozen as well, and took a lot of PB Blaster, and work to get free. Once free, they seem to move OK, but have not gotten it hot enough to be sure they work properly or not--one of these days I'll be able to run it long enough, and get it hot enough, to test them.

Remember a MEP-004 is a bear to get hot! It is likely that you didn't get it hot enough to open them anyway.

jbk

everything moves freely justed repaired radiator the lever moves the pin in and out freely. i did notice some adjustment on the power element thought their might be a spring inside. dont see anything in the tm about temp. it begins to open or testing it..

Stonepicker1

everything moves freely justed repaired radiator the lever moves the pin in and out freely. i did notice some adjustment on the power element thought their might be a spring inside. dont see anything in the tm about temp. it begins to open or testing it..
SHUTTER CONTROL THERMOSTAT.
TM 5-6115-465-12( 30KW) shutter control same as 15KW
ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE OF THE ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
Section X, page 3-51
c. Testing.
(1) Suspend the thermostat in a container of
water so that it is completely immersed but does not
touch the bottom or sides of the container.
(2) Suspend a reliable thermometer in the
container so that the temperature sensing end is in
the water but not touching the sides or bottom of the
container.
CAUTION
Do not overheat as damage to the thermostat
may result.
(3) Gradually heat the water while stirring to
distribute the heat evenly.
(4) Observe both the thermometer and the
thermostat. If the thermostat is operating properly,
it should be in opening when the water temperature
reaches 162°F (72.2°C) and be fully open when the
water temperature reaches 178°F (81.1°C).
(5) Replace the thermostat if it fails to operate​
properly.

jbk

thanks i missed it somehow. also i installed napa 3540 fuel filters and the oring (gasket) is to large for the can. what a oring will work?or is their a filter with the correct oring? i saw a post here for the oil filter napa 1004 is this correct? will the gasket work? thanks jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks