• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004a 005a over voltage after single phase conversion

Jimmie Morgan

Hello. I'm a new poster so please be gentle.
I will start with a brief history:
I was able to get a nice deal on a MEP-005a and trailer that was missing the voltage regulator. I installed a MTS ADVR-054 voltage regulator and a SS500 static exciter. It worked great on three phase 208/120.
I then went for the single phase conversion described in great detail by Sewerzuk and a few other members. Thank you all for your contributions, this was a great piece of work. Anyway, the unit starts and flashes but the unit goes into an over voltage shut down a few seconds after starting. It will recover after the shutdown drops the RPMs and voltages only to shut down again. I suspect this is hard on things and I don't want to make changes until I have a firm handle on the problem.

So, to my way of thinking the changes on the reconnect board are no longer giving my voltage regulator the 208-240 volts it needs. I expect the pin M (X8HH16B) and the pin L (X3J16C) connections I am using are not connected to T1 and T3 as would be needed in the new configuration. This is where I am getting into trouble. The wiring diagrams in the TMs suck. There is no page that I can find that shows the J13 plug (VR Cannon plug) wiring going into the reconnection board. Are these two wires really T1 and T3 or do I have something mixed up? I strongly suspect I am connected to T2 with 1 lead, which of course is not being used in the new configuration.
Both of VR-static exciter and the zigzag mods are quite common and I wonder if anyone else has already figured out what is wrong. Can anybody out there help?
:-(
I am getting the same thing. I just Converted my 005A to 220 Single Phase Like Matt Verley's You-Tube Video Voltage is 140-250 I have bought a ADVR-054 . Can you show me how to install it ??? Thanks .

Jimmie Morgan

I was able to get a nice deal on a MEP-005a and trailer that was missing the voltage regulator. I installed a MTS ADVR-054 voltage regulator and a SS500 static exciter. It worked great on three phase 208/120.
I then went for the single phase conversion described in great detail by Sewerzuk and a few other members. Thank you all for your contributions, this was a great piece of work. Anyway, the unit starts and flashes but the unit goes into an over voltage shut down a few seconds after starting. It will recover after the shutdown drops the RPMs and voltages only to shut down again. I suspect this is hard on things and I don't want to make changes until I have a firm handle on the problem.

So, to my way of thinking the changes on the reconnect board are no longer giving my voltage regulator the 208-240 volts it needs. I expect the pin M (X8HH16B) and the pin L (X3J16C) connections I am using are not connected to T1 and T3 as would be needed in the new configuration. This is where I am getting into trouble. The wiring diagrams in the TMs suck. There is no page that I can find that shows the J13 plug (VR Cannon plug) wiring going into the reconnection board. Are these two wires really T1 and T3 or do I have something mixed up? I strongly suspect I am connected to T2 with 1 lead, which of course is not being used in the new configuration.
Both of VR-static exciter and the zigzag mods are quite common and I wonder if anyone else has already figured out what is wrong. Can anybody out there help?
I need help also on my 005A

Last edited:

Jimmie Morgan

I am using the unmodified harness, of course with the single phase reconnects. I am assuming that TB6 is the reconnection board. I might go about this in a backwards manner. I can use my meter to ring out T1 and T3 and see if i have connections to J13. I will also look at T2 and see if it shows any continuity to my wiring. This will need to wait until tomorrow. I will post my findings. Thank you, You know your way around the TMs a lot better than I ever will.
Following !!!!

Jimmie Morgan

Where do I get this Exciter???