• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A Fuel Solenoid Orientation

PeterD

Ok, I'm getting along with by rebuild of the MEP-004A that I got as a basket case. Being a basket case, I don't know how a few parts were put together, though I've figured out most of them (do I ever wish that the manuals had better drawings and pictures!)

On the top of the day tank, is the fuel solenoid that is in line with the rear most fuel filter (input to the day tank, I believe).

I'm having trouble getting the solenoid to clear the air filter, air filter's sender for a restricted filter, and other bits and pieces. When turned rearwards (Towards the rear of the trailer) the hose is too short. Turned to the inside, it doesn't clear the sender on the air filter. Turned towards the front of the trailer (towards the radiator) and the air-cleaner element is in the way.

Looking down from the top, with the day tank at 6 O'clock, what way does the solenoid face?

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter I can stop on the way to work tommorrow and take a look at one of the units and let you know. I dont know if the 004 had all the fuel set up in place but I can look at the 005 and it should be in the same location

PeterD

Hopefully the 5 is the same, the 4 cylinder in the 004 puts the edge of the air-cleaner box near the rear of the engine. I noticed my sender on the air-cleaner box was bent slightly so it is possible this was a problem and someone bent it to clear (some poor GI!) But I'd like to get it 'right' instead of close if possible.

I've next got to put on the exhaust system, get a lower radiator hose, a fan belt, and then take the injectors to StateLine for them to check 'em. I'm so sorry the lady next door moved, I could have just given them to her to take in!

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter sorry this took so long. on the 004 and the 005 the selinoid output is to the rear (toward the motor) there are 2 90 degree fitting the turn it so the fuel ine runs behind the air cleaner. Hope this helps Ken

PeterD

I made it fit by canting it at a bit of an angle so the various connectors would clear. Only two or three things left, get the injectors tested and re-installed, finish the cooling system, exhaust manifold and muffler, batteries, and get fuel flowing in the fuel system.

Then convince someone from Princeton MA to come up and help me start it... :lol::beer:
Did fudge together a lower radiator hose today from two 90 degree sections. Just a few more clamps and that's set.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy in Princeton is easy to convince I just love to see more Green Iron running like it should be. Anytime I can help just ask.