• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-004a ip help

jbk

i have a 004 that has set for a long time. cant get fuel to the injectors. removed the top to look at the shut off sol. the fuel looks old and the cavity has a film on eveything. iam getting 24 volts engine cranking. anyone have any tips on what i can look for. anyone know of someone that can do a clean up and sevice? or a rebuilt, nos unit? before i remove the pump how do i set it up so the reinstallation is easier? thanks jim

Isaac-1

This may sound simple, but first make sure your getting fuel to the injection pump and out of the injection pump. I have dealt with more than one diesel engine that has sat up for a long time and found they usually have clogs both before and after the injection pump where ever there is a 90 degree elbow fitting. If the problem is internal to the pump (I think these use Stanadyne DB series pumps), I seem to recall one of the major mail order pump rebuilders is not too far away from you located on I-10 somewhere in southern Mississippi.

Ike

p.s. if it is a Stanadyne pump, there is a side cover plate held on with 2 screws, under it is a pair of alignment marks that you can align before removing, then simply put it back on with those lined up and your good as long as no one have turned the engine over while it is off being rebuilt. Note you want to be extremely clean in removing and replacing an injection pump, don't let any dirt get into the high pressure lines which may clog the injectors, seal off the lines while the pump is removed, etc.

Last edited:

jbk

the pump is a roosa master dbmfc 433-1lk. i have seen what looks like the same pump with the stanadyne name with the same number as above. theirs a cover plate on the side about inch and a half long and 3/4 wide. i have flow to the pump but nothing out.

weisskr

I have several MEP005's and have spent a few hours on them. The 005's and 004's are very similar. I just picked up a couple new units and started to breathe life back in them after being put up for long term storage. You are likely to find just about anything not working on them. One of the two that I have did have a fuel problem and as I trouble shot it back I found that the solenoid that controls the fuel to the day tank was not operating. You will find this solenoid just above the day tank to the rear or towards the control panel end of the machine. I found that the valve was working fine it was an isolation block about one inch square that has three wires attached to it not functioning properly. I installed one from one of my other five machines and then started purging fuel through the secondary fuel filter and then on to my injection pump. I later discovered that I had a gummed up injection pump and had to swap it with one of the other units. Again, you are liable to find anything wrong with these machines because of the long term storage.
I also need to ask if you have operated one of these machines before and do know how to move fuel up to the inj pump?

Kevin

jbk

no i havnt had one of these before. i had trouble with the day take float switch wasnt moving freely. i have fuel to the pump but nothing out. ive replaced the filters and purged up to the pump. is their anyone you use for your pumps? jim

weisskr

As for rebuild of pump I have not had to have one done yet. I have several units that I am able to pull parts from but I am going to have to find an outlet at some point. I am thinking that a person could check with their local diesel shop for a place or maybe do a Google search for it. I have a pump that I am going to try and take apart and see if I can find anything gummed up or blocking. These pumps are not that dificult.

jbk

thanks for the info. i am looking at a mail order outfit. i have never rebuilt one and dont what to screw it up. thats why i asked if any members rebuild them. a little nervous about rebuiding a pump on this set not knowing if it will run and work. if you run across a rebuilt one or a good used let me know. thanks jim

jbk

it runs! took the top off again freed the metering valve and arm assembly. removed the crusty ball valve in the govenor cover. right now my problems the low fuel light stays on. fuel level in day tank is fine. on the float switch the shaft has a long irregular crack at the bottom 4 in.. i suspect the float switch and or the speed switch. it also wont rise above 56 htz. checked with a killawatt meter. tried moveing trottle lever had no effect. could speed switch cause this?

weisskr

I almost feel that you still have a fuel problem because frequency is proportional to speed and if the set is not receiving enough fuel then you may not be able to reach the speed you need. I could suggest if you are able to aquire a simple RPM meter used in checking the speed on industrial electrical motors it would tell you what your speed is. If the D198ER's are Like the D298ER's found in the MEP005's then at 1800 RPM you should be near or at 60 hertz. If you are not at the speed then you will need more fuel somehow. You also need to check your fuel metering linkage located on the injection pump opposite side from the throttle linkage. I have had problems with a few of mine not being positioned properly. I have had several of those pumps come to me wired down pulling towards the control panel end of the set. Somebody prior to your owning of that machine may have also adjusted that screw to a point that is restricting the fuel also. Like I mentioned before, that is probably a Stanadyne pump and you will probably need to adjust that linkage as far to the left also known as towards the control panel end of the set and maybe wire it down so as it will not want to wander.
The switch in the day tank will probably need to be replaced and it has me wondering how your set is staying up and running when you let off the start button. My set is a mep005 and I know that if the day tank is low then the low fuel light illuminates and will allow me to start and pull fuel from the day tank as long as fuel is available in that tank but once I let go of the start button the machine will shut down. As for your speed switch it should be tied to your tactical relay box and should protect your machine from overspeed. I think if that relay was pulled in you would see that light illuminate. It is not a relay that governs the speed of the machine, it is a shut down relay with a target light illuminated when activated.
Do you have a service manual on your set? I have a manual for my mep005's and they are very similar. I can send you a PDF file if you would like?

Isaac-1

Ok, there should be 2 levers on your injeciton pump, one is the fuel kill lever, it should always be one way or the other (On/Off). It can do strange partial fuelling things and act almost like a throttle in the middle posiiton. The other lever is likely locked in one place, or has a return spring on it and is locked at a limit, this is the one that controls the governed speed, moving it will cause the engine to speed up or slow down, howver this is not like a throttle as it will automatically add or decrease fuel as load changes to maintain that engine speed. There will also likely be a knurled knob on the end of the pump, this is the droop control for the governor.

jbk

i was running the ubit on battleshort to bypass the low fuel switch and speed switch. i knew the day tank was full. as far as the speed i removed the top again to get another look at the throttle linkage and noticed a lot of slack in the cam so i adjusted that thumb screw at the rear of pump. anyway speed came up made proper voltage now to look at these switches.

Isaac-1

I was just wondering if this is one of those MEP-004's from the GSA at the Forest Service Warehouse south of Alexandria last month?

Ike

p.s. if your going to use this generator for anything you depend on I suggest getting the pump rebuilt.

PeterD

Couple of thoughts, don't forget the 'frequency' control on the panel won't do anything, you only control with the manual throttle control (lower right below the control panel).

My low fuel switch was stuck when I first started playing with my unit too, but came free and works OK now. Yours may do the same at some point, but also check the connector on the top of the tank, and the wires to the same.

jbk

ike ,yes thats where i got it. do you know anyhting about it? looked like it sat a long time. iagree on the pump sure would be nice to have a spare. the fuel didnt look to bad . my low fuel switch has a fracture in the shaft. got one comming.

Isaac-1

No, I was just tempted to bid on one or two things in that auction, but skipped it since I am recovering from a broken back, and it will still be a few months before I am able to bend down enough to work on things much. I currently have a 5 pound limit of lifting, just reaching the control panel on my MEP-701a is a challenge at the moment, so even hooking a trailer up to the truck to make the hour long drive go pick one up would have required getting help..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks