• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A Low Fuel Shutdown Issue

1800 Diesel

I'm doing some outdoor mechanic work this evening (sleet/rain mix in the FL panhandle) and will be running one of the "bench units" to power my air compressor, several heaters & lighting. The last time we ran this unit it shut down after about an hour of running. Fault indicator light for "no fuel" was on. I expect I'll have the same problem with it later this evening since I haven't had the time to sort out the problem.

I suspect the float switch for the day tank is not working or what else could it could be?? The priming circuit & fuel pump works properly via the battle short switch. Basically, whenever it shuts down, all I have to do is re-prime/refill the day tank and get fuel to the IP & it lights off with no problem. BTW, when this happened last time the main tank was about 2 gallons low when I tried to refill it. So the problem is not that the unit actually ran out of fuel but instead related to the day tank running down and not getting refilled.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Update edit--Ran the unit last night for about 3 hours and noticed main tank fuel level did go down like it should. I topped off the main tank whenever I could and this time there was no auto-shutdown and of course, no "no fuel" fault indicator. By the fact that the main tank level was going down, wouldn't that indicate the float switch & fuel pump was working properly? I'm thinking the problem is an intermittent failure of either the float switch or the fuel solenoid. Not sure what else it can be.

Kevin

Last edited:

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm doing some outdoor mechanic work this evening (sleet/rain mix in the FL panhandle) and will be running one of the "bench units" to power my air compressor, several heaters & lighting. The last time we ran this unit it shut down after about an hour of running. Fault indicator light for "no fuel" was on. I expect I'll have the same problem with it later this evening since I haven't had the time to sort out the problem.

I suspect the float switch for the day tank is not working or what else could it could be?? The priming circuit & fuel pump works properly via the battle short switch. Basically, whenever it shuts down, all I have to do is re-prime/refill the day tank and get fuel to the IP & it lights off with no problem. BTW, when this happened last time the main tank was about 2 gallons low when I tried to refill it. So the problem is not that the unit actually ran out of fuel but instead related to the day tank running down and not getting refilled.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Update edit--Ran the unit last night for about 3 hours and noticed main tank fuel level did go down like it should. I topped off the main tank whenever I could and this time there was no auto-shutdown and of course, no "no fuel" fault indicator. By the fact that the main tank level was going down, wouldn't that indicate the float switch & fuel pump was working properly? I'm thinking the problem is an intermittent failure of either the float switch or the fuel solenoid. Not sure what else it can be.

Kevin
Kevin,

Did you ever get any responses to this? I'm having the same problem with my MEP-004A and have read through the manuals and am thoroughly confused. First off, what's the "day tank" and where is it located? My genset ran fine until today, when it decided to shut down on it's own; once shut down the "no fuel" fault light came on. When I restart the motor is runs perfectly so long as I have the crank/start/run (probably screwed the name up, but I'm exhausted:) in the start position; as soon as I release the switch from the cranking position the no fuel fault indicator lights and the motor dies. If I start the motor and then flip the battle short switch, the motor runs fine and the generator generates power just fine. I know the M939 series trucks really, really well, but I'm a fish out of water with these generators. I could spend hours of my life trying to figure this out on my own, but I'd rather pay someone with the expertise to help walk me through this -- I value other people's time. Were you ever able to fix your MEP-004A that had the same problem?

Thanks much,

Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks