• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 005 and 006 starting issues.

Hey guys new here, glad I found the site!
First I got 2 units from a local guy, one is a mep 005 and the other is a 006 on a dual axle trailer
The 005 only has 1400 hours and was used by a township, and when I tried to start the fuel pumps would not come on, and the overspeed light worn reset. Then pumps are good, i checked. and i pushed the small button on the speed sensor, but no go. Also i took the day tank off and cleaned out. Any ideas?

On the 006, one fuel pump is bad one is pumping, and i can hear it come one when i put the switch on, but wont start. Also the transducer? has some black gunk dripping out, wonder if its burnt? Thanks for any info!

Ok, was hoping for a little help, but thats cool.
So I called Delks to see about parts availability, and he gave me some things to look for, but all in all, i cleaned all the fuel related parts, and tightend up the speed sensor, it was a little loose. Bled everything good, and it fired right up and runs great, and best of all ive got voltage on all 3 legs.
Today, i spent most of the day on the 60kw, got both pumps working and ive got fuel at the IP but nothing comeing out of it. I tried to see if i had voltage to it, and when the fuel pumps are running i get some voltage but it varies from 2 up to 6 volts? Does anybody know if thats normal? I tried the old hot wire to the pump, which i know is not very good to do, but when i did, the fuel pumps came on.

R Racing

Sorry I'm just seeing this today for the first time . On my MEP-004a and 005A I have to turn on the battle short switch to get them to prime. then turn it off and then start the units. Where are you checking the voltage at? You could have a bad suppression Cap on 1 of your pumps?

R Racing

There is a little screen filter in the side of the pump. There was pictures on the website here about it and a check valve. Did you try giving it a hit of ether to see if it would fire up even if only for a min?

leedawg

What I would check first if the 006 is not firing is if it is getting fuel? First is there fuel flowing to the actual injector pump. Take the hose off and diesel should just start running out of the hose it is gravity fed by a tank on the left side of the unit (the day tank) which the fuel pumps pump up to from the main tank under the unit. IF you have diesel flowing out of that line to the fuel pump then check the injection pump if it is pumping fuel out. Simply take out one of the Banjo bolts on the injection pump and crank it over see if fuel starts spurting out of the hole where the banjo bolt was. If not then you have your answer right there, no fuel from the injection pump means the motor will not run. If your getting fuel there crack open the injector lines at the injectors make sure you have diesel primed all the way up to the injectors. If still nothing you need to pull the injectors from the motor and pop test them to see if they are opening.

Most likely you are going to end up needing to do a rebuild on the injection pump. Was there a bunch of black debri inside the pump when you opened it up to check if the shut off was stuck closed? Sounds as though you freed up the shut off valve when you pulled the to cover off the injector pump. Also clean out the fuel screen at the inlet when you pull off the diesel hose that feeds the pump.

Let us know what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks