• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005a diesel fuel storage

shanekarl

I am looking to keep about 200 gallons of diesel fuel for my mep-005a. Can anyone give pointers of what they use and what I should watch out for?

I was thinking about using 4 - 55 gallon drums with 50 gallons in each along with fuel stabilizer. I am however a bit worried about whatever may have been in the barrel before causing an issue for the fuel / generator or the barrel itself rusting.

Any pointers on what others have done. I want to stay away from the clear/simiclear storage tanks as I have read the sun can break down the fuel over time. I am also not a huge fan of plastic barrels as I worry about a puncture when moving them.

For anyone who uses the steel barrels do you get the ones were the entire top is removable or just with a bung hole?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
steel barrels with just the bung hole will be better for this application. Less chance of any type of leak.

The barrel might rust from the outside, but if you inspect it occasionally you should be able to see the rust and clean it up before it becomes an issue. The inside of the barrel should have a polymer type coating on it, same as the tin cans you buy food in.
knowing what was in the barrels previously is important, and getting them cleaned out as well. Might be worth it to talk to a petroleum company that does recycling or provides solvents or other petroleum products to acquire the barrels, rather than taking chances on craigslist. a full barrel is a couple hundred dollars worth of diesel these days (or it is around here) so going cheap on the barrel can mean wasting the whole batch of fuel, money down the drain.

Plastic barrels aren't any more likely to be punctured these days than a steel barrel, and in fact are more resilient to certain types of damage.

Yes, avoid translucent plastic containers. It isn't so much breaking it down from sunlight, it's the algae that can grow in it that is the issue.

Both diesel fuel stabilizer and biocide should be used for long term storage.

If you have other equipment or vehicles that use diesel, I'd recommend numbering the barrels and using the fuel out of them within a couple years. Even though fuel can last more than that if properly stored, rotating your stock gives a better guarantee of it being usable still.

I work in a refinery. Ensure barrels are stored horizontally or have covers over the entire top. Water gets in even on bran new sealed barrels if not properly stored or covered. Get an aluminum or stainless tank made or find used. In my area they have many for sale for under $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainbreaker

What about finding a supplier that will deliver 4 drums of off road diesel to you? Could be a win-win situation if you can obtain new drums or lightly used ones.

Also, in addition to the above members suggestions I would make sure drums are not stored in contact with ground. Putting them on wood pallets works as long as the pallets are the good ones and not the cheap thinner ones. Or find some of the metal horizontal racks.

Here is a supplier for Drum Covers and more if you were planning on storing outdoors.

pevrs114

Are you looking to be able to move them, or have them stationary?

If you need mobility, I'd get empty steel 55 gal drums from a local oil supplier, that had motor oil or transmission fluid in them. They'll be like new, and you won't even have to wash them out. I got 4 for free.

If a stationary tank is ok, I'd find a used home heating oil tank, folks often give them away for free when they switch to gas or electric heat. They just want them gone. A 270 gal round tank, or a 280 gal obround tank would work perfectly, and can easily be set up for gravity feed or with a pickup tube. Plus, then you'll be in the quantity range where oil jobbers will deliver without excessive fees. Don't fill it over 85-90%, to save room for expansion with temperature swings (Ullage).

I agree with the other posters about treatment and covered storage.

Disclaimer - I work for an oil jobber.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks