• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005A Fuel injector pump

rory1919

Pleaes forgive me if this is a silly question. I have searched the archives and ready through 5 TMs.

I will start with that i know very little about diesel engines. I know that my MEP-005A is missing the Fuel Injector Pump, and i have the replacement in hand. I can not find a singe mention in the TMs about how to replace this. I currently can not access the doors on the generator as it is pinned against the side of the trailer from transport and I do not have a way to move it off the trailer to inspect, yet. I am trying to make sure i have everything lined up before i take the next step of removing this giant form the trailer.

So is this a "look where it fits and attach it you dummy" kinda part or am i just missing the correct manual?

the only things i've could was one line with a torque requirement of 40 and another mentioning to check all hose fittings for leaks. and one image the point to the location.

what else should i know?

thanks
Rory

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its in one of the TM's. I looked it up for the mep004a once a while back. The procedure includes proper installation with timing.
Will

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I do know is that you can be 180 degrees out. When the lines are lined up on the pump the motor needs to be on number one cylinder.
The motor turns over two times for the pump to turn over only one time.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the cup seals on the shaft go in correctly. I screwed up several sets of them. Finally broke down and bought the special tool they made for that purpose.

rory1919

IMG_1092.JPGIMG_1093.JPG

Ok guys, I've read through the TM and am left with a few sticking points.

I am missing more parts. the shaft that goes into the injector pump, as you can see here is missing.
the exploded views of the IP do not show this end at all.

Is this a part i can get?

and the cover plate that goes on the other side of the timing area is missing form the MEP as well.

any idea or leads for parts? can i even get the missing parts or am i forced to buy a new IP?

Rory

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It it were me I would get a new or rebuilt pump instead of messing with one thats been taken apart. Chances are that old pump will need at minimum a rebuild.

leedawg

View attachment 557916View attachment 557917

Ok guys, I've read through the TM and am left with a few sticking points.

I am missing more parts. the shaft that goes into the injector pump, as you can see here is missing.
the exploded views of the IP do not show this end at all.

Is this a part i can get?

and the cover plate that goes on the other side of the timing area is missing form the MEP as well.

any idea or leads for parts? can i even get the missing parts or am i forced to buy a new IP?

Rory
Just came across your thread.

I actually do have an entire motor that over heated and had some issues. Any way long story short I put a new motor in the set now runs great. The shaft you mention should be on the timing gear on the motor. There is an inspection plate held on with four bolts that gives you access to the timing gear with the nut that secures the shaft. The shaft is held in place with a taper. If it is not in the timing gear that means somebody took it out. If you need the shaft I could probably pull the one on my motor and send it to ya for a small sum. You would still need new shaft seals and have to then time the pump properly. As others have mentioned it might not be a bad idea to just send the pump in and have it rebuilt then the gov and everything will work well and it will hold fq well when a load hits it. Let me know if ya need any help with the unit still have rebuilt two of these had just about everything happen to me so very familiar with them.

Good luck

Lee

Guyfang

Staff member
I have replaced more 004 and 005 IP's then you have fingers. Never used any special tool. Screwed it up one time, first time. Then used lots of grease and used my fingers to keep the inner seal from flipping over. Really quite easy. Just take your time. Some folks do it without removing the injector lines. That just makes it 1000 times more difficult.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks