• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-005a giving me a reverse power warning.

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, been following this thread. First off, when the idiot light, (fault light) comes on the A9, (fault indicator), can you close the CB2, (output contractor) and send power to the output terminals L1, L2 and L3?

OK, been following this thread. First off, when the idiot light, (fault light) comes on the A9, (fault indicator), can you close the CB2, (output contractor) and send power to the output terminals L1, L2 and L3?
Hey guy long time no talk lol was wondering when you'd chime in ya it will let you close the breaker if the battle short is on me and Scooby Shep bypass3d it by moving the lead from 7 on k15 to 8 now it will let me close the breaker without using the battle short the idiot light is on but everything else works. Assuming a faulty k15 relay

Chainbreaker

ok got them it looks like this is a blow out of the front controll panel but i do not have those relays in there is this actually one of the boxes inside the genset? i see what it is i have a 005a you sent me manuals for a 805 a
Sorry about that, my bad! Not sure how that happened... although having just gone through a record setting heat wave 🌞 in PNW and being outside taking care of horses during those 2 days, I'm gonna claim effects of heatstroke, it must've fried my brain! 🍳

Sorry about that, my bad! Not sure how that happened... although having just gone through a record setting heat wave 🌞 in PNW and being outside taking care of horses during those 2 days, I'm gonna claim effects of heatstroke, it must've fried my brain! 🍳
Lol it's fine it gave me a place to start and find the correct manuals

Guyfang

Staff member
K15 is a rare one to go bad. Maybe seen it 2-3 times over the years.

The A9 is also well known for the idiot lights coming on for no reason. Easy to fix, its just an small component inside that goes bad. That's why I asked If the CB2 will close. The A9 has no influence over any function, other then telling you where the fault MIGHT be. So often, if folks do not read about how things work, they think they have a fault, when its only a fault in the A9.

K15 is a rare one to go bad. Maybe seen it 2-3 times over the years.

The A9 is also well known for the idiot lights coming on for no reason. Easy to fix, its just an small component inside that goes bad. That's why I asked If the CB2 will close. The A9 has no influence over any function, other then telling you where the fault MIGHT be. So often, if folks do not read about how things work, they think they have a fault, when its only a fault in the A9.
is there a way to test the a9 fault indicator system? and what component usually fails? the light only comes on when i close the breaker and will reset wehn i hold the reset switch but will come back as soon as i close the breaker.

Last edited:
is there a way to test the a9 fault indicator system? and what component usually fails? the light only comes on when i close the breaker and will reset wehn i hold the reset switch but will come back as soon as i close the breaker.
so i reread this and i think your saying that my fault should not be in the a9 IF i cant close the breaker which i cant. so issue lies elsewhere?

Guyfang

Staff member
What I am saying is that when you get a A9 light to come on, its not always a "real" fault. If the A9 turns on a fault light, and your the set runs, and you can still close CB2, and the output is right, then the "problem" is normally in A9. In your case, you needed to flip the S7 up to get the CB2 to close. I would say its a 99% chance its K15. Since you probably do not use the parallel function, K15 is not really needed. The way you and Scobby "fixed" it is what I would and have done, until I could order a new relay.

The normal A9 fault is when anyone of the lights comes on, but nothing stops working. You can reset the fault light, and it will come back on. Sometimes a mili second later, sometimes 1-2 minutes later. I believe the part in the A9 that fails is a SCR. There is one per light. If you really want to know, go to the -34 TM and there is a breakdown of the A9 electrical circuits. They are not in the normal wire diagrams/schematics.

What I am saying is that when you get a A9 light to come on, its not always a "real" fault. If the A9 turns on a fault light, and your the set runs, and you can still close CB2, and the output is right, then the "problem" is normally in A9. In your case, you needed to flip the S7 up to get the CB2 to close. I would say its a 99% chance its K15. Since you probably do not use the parallel function, K15 is not really needed. The way you and Scobby "fixed" it is what I would and have done, until I could order a new relay.

The normal A9 fault is when anyone of the lights comes on, but nothing stops working. You can reset the fault light, and it will come back on. Sometimes a mili second later, sometimes 1-2 minutes later. I believe the part in the A9 that fails is a SCR. There is one per light. If you really want to know, go to the -34 TM and there is a breakdown of the A9 electrical circuits. They are not in the normal wire diagrams/schematics.
Thanks a wealth of knowledge as always does the k15 relay trip if say by some crazy event power were to be fed from the house? That's the only reason I would order a new one they are a bit pricy.

Guyfang

Staff member
You should never put yourself in the position where the gen set power and city power have the potential to come together. And no, the relay would not help you in any way. There are lots of threads on this matter and since Scooby is close by, he is a wealth of info on such things also. I have seen the aftermath of such a "accident" here in Germany. Wasn't pretty.

You should never put yourself in the position where the gen set power and city power have the potential to come together. And no, the relay would not help you in any way. There are lots of threads on this matter and since Scooby is close by, he is a wealth of info on such things also. I have seen the aftermath of such a "accident" here in Germany. Wasn't pretty.
Ya thanks scooby is 1.45 hours south of me small world lol I think a good friend of mine is going to work in his department to lol and ya it would be vary hard for line power to meet gen power have a ats and 3 breakers that all would have to be closed at the same time for that to happen

on K14 find wires P62H18 AND P61A18 what pins are they on ?
I don't know if the 005a and the 006a are the same test procedure but I have gone through the same steps (with the same problems) and I have the same results up to this point. On K14 I have 4.9 between pin 5 and 6. I also do not have any wires attached at those locations. I did test 5 to ground was 0 and 6 to ground it showed power, I don't remember the voltage. If you can point me in the correct direction would be most appreciated!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks