• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 005a run ten sec then quit changed transducer

mikemike1

Ran fine before except hz fluctuated some found inspections seals leaking on injector pump and changed them then found transducer leaking and put a new one in ...now it will run only ten seconds and shut off. The low oil pressure sensor light on the panel is lit but the oil gage is showing 30lb during the ten second run. Did we get a wire switched or sensor bad ......... as reading switch shut off is 17lb +-3psi and saw there was a reset button on the oil pressure sensor is that what I am missing? Advice please

Scoobyshep

What transducer did you replace? did it work before you replaced it? When it runs for 10 seconds is that after you release the start switch?

If memory serves there are only 4 things that will stop the engine automatically, overspeed, high water temp, low oil pressure, and overvolt.

mikemike1

What transducer did you replace? did it work before you replaced it? When it runs for 10 seconds is that after you release the start switch?

If memory serves there are only 4 things that will stop the engine automatically, overspeed, high water temp, low oil pressure, and overvolt.
Replaced the TRC Watt Transducer converter the one behind the panel as it was leaking # 10086. It worked great before I replaced it but sitting for six months and doing some maitenance on it and found those two things the injector pump inspection seals replace and the transducer watt converter and now it lights up the low oil pressure light but the gage says it has 30lb. yes it runs for 7 sec after release of starter switch

Scoobyshep

The gauge and oil pressure switch are separate. Personally I dont trust the gauges that much.

as soon as the engine is running, turn on the battle short (s7) if it keeps running then it narrows the problem down to a handful of things. make sure you have actual oil pressure before doing this, there is the possibility you are low on oil and the pump is cavitating. pay close atten tion to the dipstick as it has 2 scales on it

mikemike1

Replaced the TRC Watt Transducer converter the one behind the panel as it was leaking # 10086. It worked great before I replaced it but sitting for six months and doing some maitenance on it and found those two things the injector pump inspection seals replace and the transducer watt converter and now it lights up the low oil pressure light but the gage says it has 30lb. yes it runs for 7 sec after release of starter switch
The gauge and oil pressure switch are separate. Personally I dont trust the gauges that much.

as soon as the engine is running, turn on the battle short (s7) if it keeps running then it narrows the problem down to a handful of things. make sure you have actual oil pressure before doing this, there is the possibility you are low on oil and the pump is cavitating. pay close atten tion to the dipstick as it has 2 scales on it
Okay Thank you very much we will triple check everything again and get an additional gauge for the oil on it just to make sure as you suggest .......I think the low oil pressure light is lit as soon as you power the control panel if that helps and stays lit while trying to start fyi Thanks again

Scoobyshep

as soon as you place the set in run the low oil light will light (no pressure) when it starts push the test/reset switch to reset and release. that should shut that light off.

mikemike1

Okay Thank you very much we will triple check everything again and get an additional gauge for the oil on it just to make sure as you suggest .......I think the low oil pressure light is lit as soon as you power the control panel if that helps and stays lit while trying to start fyi Thanks again
okay here we are of course a little thing will get you and you had mentioned about two scales on dipstick the one side showed full the other just at the add mark so we added oil to bring to the full on both sides and that took care of the light but still wont run does the same thing so thinking now a fuel problem soo if you turn on the battle switch you can hear the electric fuel pump and feel it working but but still wont keep running if you flip the battle switch to on while it is running during those few seconds but cannot hear or feel the electric pump running ...operating during this time and we broke some fuel lines open to see if we had flow before the fuel filter and did not also the same before the injector pump we are thinking something keeping the fuel pump from running ? Could it be anything with the watt transducer converter that we changed ? just not getting fuel I'm at a loss

Attachments

Scoobyshep

Thermalwatt converter should be only instrumtation. With the set in run(doesnt have to be running) and battle short on do you hear the pumps clicking? And if so how fast?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mikemike1

Thermalwatt converter should be only instrumtation. With the set in run(doesnt have to be running) and battle short on do you hear the pumps clicking? And if so how fast?

yes when battle switch is on only time we hear or feel pump running and yes it does click maybe one a second not near as fast as when we had the fuel line off before filter and then tried it ... Thanks for your help felt like a big dummy on the oil dip stick this thing only has 99 hrs on it fyi

Scoobyshep

Lets try this. Were going to see if the controls are shutting it off or if it is starving for fuel. Meter the electrical connection point at the top of the fuel injection pump. If it stalls and there is still 24v, its not getting fuel.

mikemike1

Lets try this. Were going to see if the controls are shutting it off or if it is starving for fuel. Meter the electrical connection point at the top of the fuel injection pump. If it stalls and there is still 24v, its not getting fuel.

ok will do ... dont think it will be tonight yet ...but tomorrow for sure we'll see appreciate the help

mikemike1

ok will do ... dont think it will be tonight yet ...but tomorrow for sure we'll see appreciate the help
Well got it done and it does have 24v while running but when gen dies so does the voltage also checked in Battle Short mode and it has 24v full time when not running and switch is on lastly the clicking starts off fast and then quickly slows down

Scoobyshep

The clicking will slow when fuel pressure builds. Do the same thing with battle short on. If it still looses 24v than we need to look into the controls

mikemike1

The clicking will slow when fuel pressure builds. Do the same thing with battle short on. If it still looses 24v than we need to look into the controls

Grandson still here so we were able to check with the engine running and battle short on ...... we had 24v during and after ....... so this points to a fuel line blockage ? Since the fuel pump sounds like it primes clicking that would put the blockage between the fuel pump and the filter as we had the line off and very little fuel certainly not 6-7 psi worth while cranking.........most likey scenario? am I thinking correctly or you thinking in controls? Thanks again

mikemike1

Grandson still here so we were able to check with the engine running and battle short on ...... we had 24v during and after ....... so this points to a fuel line blockage ? Since the fuel pump sounds like it primes clicking that would put the blockage between the fuel pump and the filter as we had the line off and very little fuel certainly not 6-7 psi worth while cranking.........most likey scenario? am I thinking correctly or you thinking in controls? Thanks again
Wanted to add the primer appears not to work as toggling on and off or leaving on there is no sounds or clicking nothing ..fyi

Scoobyshep

If there is still 24v and it stalled its a fuel loss issue.

Primer only works if there is an ether bottle present

mikemike1

If there is still 24v and it stalled its a fuel loss issue.

Primer only works if there is an ether bottle present

yep okay will start looking at fuel supply no ether bottle don't like the stuff in an engine unless a very last resort and sparingly and while engine cranking. Thanks for your help Kudos and let you know final outcome hopefully or more questions ....Thanks again

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, lets go over this again.
You can start it, and it dies when you let S1 go?

You tried to engage the S7 after starting, but the engine still died?

Try doing that again, but DO NOT release the S1, before you engage the S7. Same thing happen?

mikemike1

OK, lets go over this again.
You can start it, and it dies when you let S1 go?

You tried to engage the S7 after starting, but the engine still died?

Try doing that again, but DO NOT release the S1, before you engage the S7. Same thing happen?
Thank you for responding . went out to double check before answering and yes s1 and s7 and still dies the same way will not stay running