• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005A voltage regulator trouble

So mine burned up during the wildfires here in ca, I bought an AVR voltage regulator and popped it in under 30 minitrs and it works great have never looked back. Lefy everything else there so somebody really motivated could make it stock if they really wanted to. If you want more details on model and install instructions let me know.

Lee
so the latest update is i installed the advr in the same way you did and varified that your way was correct and it did not work for me so i built a 2 pole relay setup the the normally closed position applied the avr output to the field and the open position would apply 12 vdc to the coil to "flash it" when i flash it i get the same result as before and i get 240 volts at about 55 hurtz i tired adjusting the the throttle as best i could but to get close to 60 hertz the voltage starts to get way to high i suspect 12 -volts is to much i may try 6 volts on my next try any ways when i flash it it generates 140 to the avr for a few seconds and even after releasing the relays the avr does not kick out any dc voltage so at this point i ma bit stuck. i know the genend is good as its making voltage and i have a fan hooked to the 110 plug and it turns up and blows no problem so just need to work out the avr maybe i need to start a new thread?

Did you give him the test procedures for the WHOLE static exciter? The problem could be in the volt reg, or in the exciton. Its all in the -34 TM.
so i ordred a after market avr i posted a reply here to the guy that recommended it and now have a different set of issues lol i decided to do this as we don't have reliable way to generate the test voltages needed and we are struggling to find modern day components for some of the items on the board wonder do you think i may need to start a new thread now that im trying to retrofit than repair the old one?

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it would be good to start a new thread. As the owner of (3) MEP-005A’s, I’m very interested in how to fix issues and/or modernize components. Thanks and following.

Yes, it would be good to start a new thread. As the owner of (3) MEP-005A’s, I’m very interested in how to fix issues and/or modernize components. Thanks and following.
Ok so unit is now running great and making power like a champ with a addition of a flashing circuit I’ve attached the diagram I followed I used a 100 watt 12 ohm resister and the diode was a 6amp 600v. Don’t judge lol tho was just the test going to make it in a box all nice looking also over under voltage cut off still works.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks