• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-005AAS missing component help

Ole Rustbucket

I purchased a John R Hollingsworth Co Mep-005AAS 30kw generator. It has a White Engines D298ER 6 cylinder diesel engine. There seems to be a missing component near the fuel filter system. I have not been able to identify what is missing, can anyone help me to identify what is missing and if possible where to find one?

Thank you all!
Pictures are included

Attachments

Ole Rustbucket

I purchased a John R Hollingsworth Co Mep-005AAS 30kw generator. It has a White Engines D298ER 6 cylinder diesel engine. There seems to be a missing component near the fuel filter system. I have not been able to identify what is missing, can anyone help me to identify what is missing and if possible where to find one?

Thank you all!
Pictures are included

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you down loaded the -24P TM?

The part hanging there at the bottom is the three way valve, but more then that I can not say. Need better pictures.

The three way valve hook up should look very much like this picture below. This picture is not for your gen set, nor the MEP-004A, with is 98% the same as the MEP-005A. This is a picture of the MEP-006A. But should be almost the same as yours.

Notice, that the Three way valve has three outlets, (makes sense!) One outlet goes to the Auxiliary Fuel Inlet nipple, (outlet to the right side of the valve) under the valve, when its mounted to the side of the gen set with two bolts/nuts. Another outlet goes to the fuel tank, (Outlet to the left of the valve). The third goes to the gen set fuel pump system, (outlet going straight up).

1630701122390.png
The below picture is for your set, to help explain what I just wrote above. The three way valve is call "Fuel Selector Valve in the picture below.
1630701589959.png

The first thing you need to do is look for the ends of these three connections, and see if they are laying inside the set. Or, if someone took them. The belly of a gen set is a graveyard of missing parts, so take your time and look good. The parts can be located between the side of the fuel tank and the gen set housing. They can also be in the OVM box there, under the dip stick. You are also going to need the two mounting bolts/nuts. Lets see some more/better pictures. Balls in your court.

Also would not hurt to take some good pictures of all the rest of the set. Might be able to see something else missing or broke.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Take a good couple shots of inside the control panel. Lots of stuff get raped out of it.

Is the Aux inlet nipple still on the set? Kinda looks like you are not missing too much. Any other loose hoses? Are the fittings on the input side of the B2, (electric fuel pimp) and the fittings and connecting tube between B2 and B3?

Guyfang

Staff member
Oh ye of little faith. If someone who has no idea what he is doing, has worked on the set before you bought it, and gives up. Then writes POS on it and sells it. I would say consider the source. If I lived in the states, I would offer you money for that gen set. It needs work. Yes. If you did not see all this before you bought it, well, what can I say. But simply getting the jitters because someone else gave up, is a non starter with me. If you want to fix it, you can.

"Do not take counsel of your fears" Winston Churchill.

Guyfang

Staff member
Please tell me the POS mark signifies something different than what I'm thinking.
In the forth picture, locate the other end of the cable. If its hooked to output load terminals, remove it, for safety reasons.

In the fifth picture, the short line is a homemade job. Don't mean it won't work.

In the sixth picture, that looks like the hose that goes to the tank. The two nuts and washer are the hardware needed to hold the three way to the side of the set. Try and find the screw that holds the handle to the valve.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a side note, make sure you retorque the oil pan. These white engines love to leak oil. Also, check the oil drain valve, I end up changing them cause they leak. The best part about this series is that they can be reconfigured to single phase.

Ole Rustbucket

Thanks for the help everyone the extra components ended up being for an external fuel source. There is a problem with the high pressure fuel pump though. Does anyone know the correct rebuild kit for it? 20211112_145013.jpg

jamawieb

From your pictures, the original owner had problems with the day tank float or solenoid. You can see they bypassed it with the hoses and have the pumps running directly through the filters, to the injector pump. The problem is when you use the original aux fuel hookups, the injector return line goes back to the day tank. The day tank then runs over and that fuel goes back into the generator tank. Which causes it to overflow. Ask me how i know. LOL. Ive done the samething the original person did in an emergency. Had 50 gallons of fuel leak out on the ground. More than likely the problem is with the day tank float. The original has a plastic housing on the float which breaks down over time. You can find them for around $60 on the web

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks