• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 006 frequency gage pegs and shuts down the motor

Starts right up purrs like a kitten. As soon as i try to speed the engine up it shuts down with a over voltage light on. At idle i do not have any idiot lights on. The frequency gage pegs right away even at low idle.
What do you guys think the transducer?
Thanks for all your help, in advance. I am really learning a lot here.

Cable dog has slack when the lever is all the way back. The low idle is good its most likely the re set button, or what ever makes that pop out. I have a good starting point for tomorrow. Thank you

found the re set button, and re set it. no more over speed light. now the over voltage light comes on when I try to go over engine idle speed. frequency gage pegs at low idle. any ideas?

not the voltage regulator. I tried the working one I had, same problem. I unhooked one of the dc wires from the transducer, the freq meter didn't work, but the overvoltage light came on when I tried to idle up the generator. do you think the over voltage relay can be bad? i have one of those relay boxes I could try.

Ok i changed out the exciter box, (brand new exiciter box still in the original shipping carton) with no results. The freq gauge pegs and the motor shuts down with a over voltage fault. What do you guys think about the frequency transducer? I am going to try changing it and see what happens. Thanks so far.

Tried the frequency transducer no change.
What creates the voltage in the first place the altenator on the engine? I assume the voltage has to start somewhere to excite the circuit right, something has to flash the coils to make the magnetic field or lines of flux. Im sure this is one of those simple things. Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
Get a multimeter that reads Frequency. Start the set, run at idle. Measure frequency at the 110 outlet. Monitor the meter while slowly increasing the Hertz. Does it really go up? If so, how far.

Normally, if the gen set overspeeds, the idiot light comes on, and then shuts the set off. At this point, the gen set should not allow you to restart the set. That's the reason for the S-10, (Overspeed switch) reset. Yours allowed you to restart the set, without resetting the S-10. Sooooooooooo, it's also possible that your speed switch has a set of contacts that hang up. Is the speed switch a mechanical, or electrical type. The mechanical type is the old, (old, old old!) type.

Partner, you need to download the manuals and troubleshoot the freq problem first. The TM tells you what the output voltage is for the frequency transducer is. The input of the freq transducer should be 110 volts, more or less. So check that, and compare.

Also, forgot to ask. Did this gen set ever work right? Or did you just get it?

Last edited:
Thanks guyfang. The set is new to me. Never worked but did start right up. I will get a meter with frequency gage (i like having reasons to buy new tools). I read the manuals but its looks like chinese long divison to me, just a bunch of squigly lines. Thanks again