• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-006A 60 KW Gen. trouble!!!!!!!

52D

Got a 60 KW that is in good shape. It runs great just one thing I can't line out.
It makes the lights in the house flicker. Hz seem good gauge says away. But my volts fluctuate 5 to 10 volts. I know it is more generator than I need but got it for great price. Can anyone give help out? Thanks!!

saddamsnightmare

April 11th, 2010.

52D:

Likely your 60KW unit is running at about 20% load or less, and the units are designed to run 80-85% loaded all the time. You're gonna have to turn on every heater or ac unit in the house, and almost all the lights, stoves and whatever else you got hooked up, just to get it to run right. Neither the throttle or the governor will respond well to that light of a load, so your RPM and hence your hertz are off at least 10 or 20%, likely you are getting 45 - 50 hz, which is why your lights are flickering.....

A 10-15KW unit is usually enough for most civillian installations like yours.

Just a thought 2cents,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

brianrbull

I have the same issue with my 006a..... under light load it likes to flutter a bit on the voltage. load her down a bit and see if that helps at all. I agree with SKIDUNITS4YOU .on the Wet Stacking ....But Voltage is controlled by the Voltage Requlator, HZ is based on engine speed....
IF you find that this indeed too much Gen for your needs shoot me a PM and we might be able to talk a deal.... I need a second 006a for a powerplant project I am working on.....

52D

Thanks for all the info! I know the 60 kw is more than I need. I just could not pass on it. Yes I'am a 52D but my time was served by working on 5 ton, hummers and all. Plus with Clinton's help I deactivated 3 Company's. So my time was not spent on generators. Thanks again for info.

Crash_AF

Yea, put some load on it and see if the voltage settles down. I've had 6's run with less than 10% load and not fluctuate though. My guess would be that the voltage regulator is getting flaky and may be on the way out.

You could also try moving the control a little up or down because the rheostat might have a spotty place in it that's causing the voltage to flux due to the engine vibrations...

Wet stacking will most definitely be a problem with the unit if you use it much and don't have a good load to put it under periodically. I would see if you can resell it or trade it to someone like Brian for a smaller unit plus some cash. A win-win for both of you.

Later,
Joe

52D

RPM are steady. Controls on volts and hz can be adjust so the rheostats are fine. Not had much time to mess with it here
it is get dry so I've been in the field spraying. Had most of the house on but still the lights were flickering. I'll look at the
regulator to see how it tests. Thanks

Crash_AF

I doubt that you can adjust the frequency with the rheostat. If you can, that's not a MEP-006A, it's a MEP-006B with a governor control and is MUCH more desirable than an A model which you have to adjust for load changes with the hand throttle.

Later,
Joe