• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-006a frequency meter

Denny

I picked up this generator last week .I know it is to big for my needs but I finally got it started yesterday it started great and the voltage came right up but the frequency meter never moved . I am not totally sure I went through the start up procedure right but I went and did it again still no frequency . anybody have any idea thanks.

Guyfang

Staff member
Denny,

Slow down.

Some of us live 6 or 7 time zones away. Do you have the TM's? If not, download them from the SS TM Forum. If so, the troubleshooting diagram will lead you through a very simple test procedure. First, find A-2 the Frequency Transducer. Its in the control panel. On both sides of it, are two wires, hooked to a TB, (terminal Board). One side is labeled 1 and 2, and the other is labeled + and -. Start the set. Get it up to running speed. Measure, ( hope you have a multimeter) at wire 1 and 2, for 120 volts, AC or thereabouts. If you have 120, then measure at wires + and -, but for DC voltage. I cant remember how much, look it up. I am currently working from a computer without my manuals uploaded. If you have 120, AC in, on the A-2 and no DC voltage out, the A-2 is bad. If you have DC out, and the meter doesn't move, beat it once or twice with your fist, and if that doesn't help, get a new meter.

Denny

i am sorry to seam inpatient.I just got home from work looking like it is going to rain so not sure if I will make it out tonight but I am going to down load the tm I have Tm5-6115-545-12 what others do I need again thanks a lot for getting back with me .I will let you know what I find

Guyfang

Staff member
Please read the -12. Its really got good info. The -24 is your parts book. It can help you not only figure out what you need, but how to get it apart. WARNING! Read the part about UOC, (Usable On Codes) These codes tell you if a part is for a 60 hertz model, (like yours) or a 400 hertz model. And anything you might need to fix this problem just might have an UOC listed next to it. Along with another model, a PRECISE power 60 hertz model. 98% parts are interchangeable. But that 2% can make your day into an un-nice one. The -LO tells you the who, what and where about lubing the set. The -34 continues the troubleshooting that the -12 stops at. All the books are important. Take a bit of time and go through them. Don't have to read every word. But get to know them a bit. Skim.

Oh, I was just pulling your short hairs. I am in a different timezone, so am online when you all are asleep, and vice versa. The people who can help you in your time zone, are at work just like you. No big deal.

If you don't know much about this set, it can seem like you're in over your head, it can be intimidating. And you simply don't need that. They are simple, if you take your time and get smart with the books. And there are a ton of people here who can help.

Last edited:

Denny

sorry its been so long i finally had time to go out and check out the frequency transducer only to find out I have 120 volt in and nothing coming out. so now to save up and to find one .again I want to thank you for all your help.

Guyfang

Staff member
Is there some type of goo, leaking down from the bottom of the A2? The A2 was something I always wanted to open up, and check out. But the Goo, or resin that fills it up is some tough stuff.

Don't forget my warning about the UOC. Don't get a A2 thats for 400 hertz!

The -24P manual tell you that the A2 and the M6, freq meter are a matched set. This is not true. What it means is that at the factory, the techs hooked up 120 volts AC to pins 1 & 2. Then they hooked up the M6 meter to pins + & -. There is an adjustment pot on the rear of the A2, to allow you to tune the A2 and the M6 to read the right hertz. That's what they mean by matched set. You can do it yourself. There is no point in buying the whole matched set of A2 and M6 freq. meter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks