• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016 Breaker Panel/120V Outlets Distribution

NBA89

Hi all,

I am curious to see if someone could provide a tutorial and a parts list to be able to add a distribution panel w/some 120V outlets to my MEP-016. Is it as easy as running wires from the load terminals to a common breaker panel then on to some common 120V outdoor outlets? What math is involved to ensure I don't overload the genset? Any help would be great!

NBA89

...explain this how-to as a way to add to any applicable generator (single phase). In other words, don't be restricted by the fact that the MEP016 only puts out 3KW. Just include the math so the correct designs can be applied to each unit. Thanks!

Guyfang

Staff member
The math is entirely dependent on the load. You look at what you want to power up. Most electric devices have some kind of data writen on them, telling you what they draw for a load. Add up the various loads. That's the short version of what you want to know.

Naturly, it's a bit more complicated then that. The design of your Distribution System is dependent on the size of your power source. You can't use components for a 3KW gen set, that you would use for a 100 KW gen set.

Guyfang

Staff member
By asking one of the Double E's (Electrical Engineers) here in the forum. They can answer the technical questions better than I. I could probably explain it, but it would be in german. With german electrical codes. Not much help to you in Florida. It's little things like, here, we use 3 Phase. In the States, mostly, you don't. Things like that. And I believe several guys have done just what you want, and did a cracker jack job of it. Let me bump a few guys, and ask them to jump in here.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is more a power distribution question than a generator question. There are plenty of tutorials on the web on how to do a power distribution setup.

Since you are asking a pretty basic question about power distribution I have to ask this - Have you considered buying one of the boxes already setup for that? If you put "generator spider box" into the search engine of your choice you should see some common examples. To use one those you just need a cord between the generator and the spider box.

I've included some very basic info to consider regarding building your own distribution setup:

You will want to to size the wire between the generator and the load center for the generators capacity. If you are talking about a MEP-802. That generator outputs 26a @ 240v. A good wire size is 10 gauge. From there you install the load center that supports the number of circuits you desire to attach.

Each circuit breaker in the load center will determine the wire size between it and the outlet. As an example, if you want to add a 20a, 120v outlet, you choose a 20a breaker and use 12 gauge wire between the breaker and the outlet. If you want to use a 15a outlet you use a 15a breaker and 14 gauge wire between the breaker and the outlet. If you want to add a 240v outlet, you choose a 2 pole breaker along with the correct 240v outlet to match the power needs of what you are connecting. And lets not forget since this will be an outdoor thing you'll need to use GFI breakers (or outlets) as required by your local electrical codes and outdoor rated boxes, outlets, and load centers. Pay particular attention to grounding and bonding of your setup. You'll need to know the rules for your area and be sure do it appropriately.

I've not talked about overloading the generator because in this scenario you have to be be your own load manager. It is possible to overload the generator but if you follow the normal ampacity tables for wire sizes and you choose the appropriate connectors (outlets, plugs etc) you will be safe from setting your power distribution components on fire.

Last edited: