• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-016

cubdriver55

I have several questions about the MEP-216 Generators. Can the Yanmar diesel conversion be put on any of the 016s or just the gas version? Will it work on a 016b for example? I have some of the MEP-802a generators but I am taking one to the bush where it will only be charging batteries that will pull less that half of full load. Am I better off with a 3 KW unit ? Will the 3 KW unit use less fuel? I would like to get one of the older gas units in good shape and put the conversion on it so the engine was new. Are they hard to find in good shape? Thanks Steve

Isaac-1

There were 2 different Yanmar conversions, the MEP-016D which was an gasoline powered MEP-016A or C repowered with a Yanmar L70 engine, or the MEP-016E, which was a Onan 1 cylinder MEP-016B repowered with a Yanmar L100. Overall the conversion process was a bit more complicated for the B to E conversion (involves rerouting lots of stuff including exhaust), there was an ebay seller with the complete conversion kits for sale a couple of years ago, but as I recall the price was high.

Ike

p.s. best fuel economy would probably be on a MEP-016D with its smaller L70 engine, but you should note these have no on board battery or battery charging circuit, and are designed to pull start or jump start from an external vehicle only. I would not try to do the conversion myself, instead buy a low hour already converted set. Finding them with low hours is fairly easy, I bought one of GL with only a few hours showing a couple of years ago, it did turn out to be false hours due to wrong hook up on the hour meter, but I am sure it did not have many hours on it given the paint was still black on the exhaust heat shield, etc.

Last edited:

6x6TRex

Shipping would be a killer but I have 2 MEP-016Cs, one complete and one parts I would pull the engines off of or if you google it there is a propane conversion kit available for the gas engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks