• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016b Connection Lug

seek

MEP-016b Connection Load Terminal Lug

Hi

I had an electrican wire my set and he cross threaded L3. Is there a way to fix it? I would call and raise cain but I have no proof and just want it fixed. I ordered covered outlets that came today and was taking the nut off when I noticed something was wrong. Glad he did not mess them all up.

Looks like the first 2-3 threads are real buggered.

Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

A picture would be usefull. But if the threads are long, and "getattable", patience and a rat tail file, or a thread chaser would work. If enough thread is available, dress the pitch of the threads also with a fine hacksaw blade or similar. A great deal of patience is required. However, for a definate fix, purchase a die set or single die, and carefully chase the existing thread. good luck. (but) post a picture of the damaged item.

Last edited:

seek

Glad to know its fixable.

the advice so far,

"dress the pitch of the threads also with a fine hacksaw blade or similar"
can you explain that a little bit?

"However, for a definate fix, purchase a die set or single die, and carefully chase the existing thread"
can you tell me what size i need to buy? How do I determine that if its not known?

again thank you

dmetalmiki

Good picture. would have that fixed in a giff. I have had people quit on a job with "scewed up" (!) threads in disgust. I then get a very small hacksaw blade and simply file into the good part of the thread groove, and continue gently round the screw "tracing" the line of the original thread outwards. A rat tail file is a very small file with a rounded profile on one edge. (good for tracing the groove out). Patience is the watchword here. If you can not do that, obtain a die nut. (a set is not all that expensive).

seek

Thanks you were clear and I understood. I got it fixed. Had to remove it which was simple once I saw the plastic box below the would come off. My hands are large and getting one down, way down to L3 was impossible. My neighbor had access to a lathe and in two minutes it was good as new. He was a little concerned because the threads were split, I told not to worry I felt lucky. Lucks good.

Those bolts are not bullet proof. The electrician was just in a hurry when it got buggered. No one will touch them here forward. For those never noticing you should also be careful anytime you tighten one you can twist the wires in the control box.

Triple Jim

Reminds me of watching a clown with an air wrench install the wheels on my Dodge van after buying new tires. I saw him having trouble with one lug nut, and walked up to find that he had cross threaded it so badly that the nut was trapped on the stud, and had completely stripped the threads where it was, so he couldn't get it off, or all the way on. I had to go back the next day for the shop to install a new stud.

Glad you got yours fixed.

seek

Thanks it is a good feeling and always good to have a good neighbor. I had the tire guy do the same to me. Ya just have watch anyone anytime they got hands on your equipment.

seek

I was reading an 016A manual to see how the generator schematics compared to most current one and I saw this in the manual on repair of the connection load terminal and I attached it. Wish I had seen this when I had it off. May help someone else.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks