• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B Genset with an Onan

Jim_in_Omaha

Hello. First post here...

I recently purchased a 016B with an Onan diesel. I only wanted the engine to mess around with. At the surplus store it was the only one out of four 016b's that the engine appeared to be worthy.

I removed the engine today and the injector pump was sticky. After about two hours soaking with carb cleaner it freed up. I applied 12v to glow plug for about 30 seconds. The engine then fired up with about two seconds of cranking. I was impressed since I don't know much about diesels.

Is the glow plug 12v or 24v? I assume 24v but can not find a diagram.

I have been looking for the technical manuals. I have TM 5-6115-615-34. But it does not go into great detail regarding the engine electrical control. It makes many references to TM 5-6115-615-12 which I have not found. It requires a username to download off the military documentation site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great site for info.
Thanks
Jim

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Jim! Be careful, I started out monkeying around with military generators years ago and now I have 2 M35A2's in the yard!!! :oops: This stuff is addictive! Sorry I don't have the info you are after but hang in there. Someone here will come through. Welcome to SS!

Jim_in_Omaha

I found searchable PDF's of all three manuals using some cryptic wording on Google. The glow plug is 12volts. Glad I didn't hook up 24v.

I'll upload the current manuals when I get a chance. I uploaded the old one I had but after looking at these it is very obsolete. Will need to fix that...

And I would agree this stuff is addictive. I also have a 4A032 engine.
thanks
Jim

Isaac-1

I can't help on the glow plug voltage, but can tell you mine (MEP-701a) will reliably start without needing the glow plugs down to below freezing.

Ike