• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B oil cooling hose connection

JOBRLA

Afternoon all, hope all survived the New Year. I have a MEP-016B generator that the oil cooling line came loose ay the oil radiator. I know this generator has never been messed with due to only 2 hours on it and all the original paint. It came apart at a connection you would think would be crimped, but it was just slid over a fitting and held together with what appears as a GREY epoxy.

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, what do I re-connect it with?
Please see attached pics
Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Jody

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Afternoon all, hope all survived the New Year. I have a MEP-016B generator that the oil cooling line came loose ay the oil radiator. I know this generator has never been messed with due to only 2 hours on it and all the original paint. It came apart at a connection you would think would be crimped, but it was just slid over a fitting and held together with what appears as a GREY epoxy.

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, what do I re-connect it with?
Please see attached pics
Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Jody
Ummm... That shouldn't have happened.

The small nut is the fitting that should "disconnect".
The part you are showin in the picture should still be together.

JOBRLA

I heard it run when I got it but when I started it up myself, it went into run-away and before I could choke it out, the line blew off

JOBRLA

Morning Guyfang,

Took it apart and the pics attached. Still dont know how the metal coupling is attached to the plastic nipple from the cooler. It's perfectly smooth, both nipple and the inside of the fitting. Might have to get another cooler.

Attachments

Ray70

With the band clamps removed, the 2 fittings that remain look a little different. is the missing larger black rubber and what appears to be 2 tan washers part of the mounting clamp? ( Red arrows )
I suspect the remaining ring ( Green arrow ) was somehow attached to the now loose coupler, but has broken off.
I'd try to see how that remaining "stuff" comes off of the cooler tube. Maybe there's something you can work with if you get the remnants removed.

20230105_165230_resized_1.jpg

Ray70

Ok, so the whole thing was all part of the mounting clamp.
What is the black part that remaining and the ring that my green arrow is pointing to?
Is the black the actual cooler tube?
Will the ring with green arrow come off or unscrew along with the remaining Gray piece that came out of the coupling?
It looks like that ring was originally part of the coupling and maybe separated somehow.
I'd see if it will unscrew with a pair of vice grips.
Only other thing is to try to take off that gray part and see what's under it.
Might as well try,
It's already "busta-makated".... might as well dig in deeper to see how to fix it.

JOBRLA

Okay, here we go. I disconnected the upper hose from the swivel coupling and connector came off the black tube just like the bottom one. The ring that your green arrow is pointing at is just tan paint that got on the tube between the connector and the rubber bushing. The tubes are aluminum that ate tapered and painted black. After even closer inspection, the grey is epoxy, the connectors are epoxied to the cooler tubes. Went to Fort Bliss army base Saturday and talked to a guy in the motor pool who used to work on them. He's the one that confirmed they were originally built that way. He said would be best to remove both lines and cooler and build a more solid one. He said over a period of time they come lose, but this engine only has a few hours on it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Look at the date of manufacture. Hours on the meter mean NOTHING! Anyone can toss a new meter in, and presto! New gen set? Rebuilt gen set? The gen set is maybe as old as you.