• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016b Oil leak

seek

hi

i have had my 016b a year now and it runs and produces great. I have built up a nice collection of essential parts if ever shtf I should be in good shape. I have run the machine ever 3 months for about 4 hours. When i park it and it cools I find a thick oil spot in an odd area on the floor. Its not a drip and it appears...i am so guessing... that its coming off the top of the engine. Its like it belches up a glob of oil and it stops until its run again. Today I changed the oil and filter 15 days early from when delks set the machine up last year. my oil change went smoothly.

I would like to stop it if possible, the floor of my basement can do without that oil. But i need to know what to look for or at. It sits on two dollies nailed together so looking under this 400lb beast is impossible. sitting in front of the control panel looking forward I would... guess... again it's coming from the rocker cover area of the engine. The machine was actually like new so there is nothing obvious like wet areas.

whats under and around the rocker cover that would produce a tablespoon of oil after it cools down that could make it down to the floor.

I only have 16 hrs on it so its not time to call delks for a valve adjustment. if i knew what to look for maybe i could crack that cover and find something lose. I dont have my parts list in front of me but i recall buying some parts like a wire sponges and one or more hoses that go under that cover when its serviced. i have all parts if its needed for those services

would anyone have an idea of what i might look for?

thank you, happy 4th

Guyfang

Staff member
These engines tended to leak a little. I found that the fuel pump was always a problem area. But that means you need to remove the skin to look. Its the only way. How about pictures? Of the set, and the floor so we can see where its at. The Gov was also a spot that tended to leak

seek

It's not really leaking. You can not see any areas that are producing a drip, you can not see any wet parts on the engine or genhead. There is no drip period. A picture would do you no good because it only happens once after cool down. I described where it seems to come from.

It does not have a ask, I keep the shield over the governor off to make it easy to check the oil. You can see the top / sides and they are dry as a bone. No fuel or oil leaks are visible anywhere. Dry and green. The fuel tank is even dry now. For a while the tank looked damp, I guess the fuel wetted the seals and it dried up. It's 27 years old and spent 26 years on a shelve, so that's cleared up. Dry as a bone.

seek

I know little about engines. I want to think it comes from the area around/connected to/under the valve cover. I just need someone that knows the area.

So if yours does it too there is something not buttoned up. I really want to understand it. Thanks for speaking out.

87Nassaublue

I looked under my 016b yesterday. There are a few places that thing can leak. One in particular is the hose to the remote oil drain. I didn't see any clamps on it. I'm going to pressure wash it today. Once it is completely clean, I'll be able to tell you more.

seek

That's great! When I was picking up mine from GL I broke the oil drain and Delk's came out on a service call to replace it. I look forward to read your findings.

When you take the valve cover off how many hoses are involved? Do you know where they go? Looking under the machine is the best way to figure this out.

Last edited:

87Nassaublue

I pressure washed mine yesterday and did touch up painting. I believe my little seepage is from the remote oil drain hose. It looks like it's been pinched a time or two and it has no clamps on it either. I only leaks if it's been run for a while and warmed the oil. This unit will be for sale soon shortly so I'm not planning on replacing that hose since it would require another oil change.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks