• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B with SX460 Voltage Regulator

derf

Today I verified an MEP-016B will work with an SX460 VR. I wired the gen output output single phase 120 and set the jumper on the SX460 for 120V use. They do make three phase VRs but I did not use one. I am not sure if the SX460 will work in three phase applications but there are other, similar units made for three phase heads. The SX460 I got is actually a Chinese clone, available on ebay for around $60. As far as I can tell it is an exact copy of the original Stamford, and sold by many vendors for much more $$. The SX460 features voltage control, stability control, and frequency roll off that cuts the power if the frequency gets out of range.

Specs:
http://www.northern-lights.com/PDFs/manual_pdfs/SX460.pdf

This reg taps 120/240 output to make the DC field output, so it should work on many different gens, both 1800RPM and 3600RPM, and can put out like 90V DC for larger generator fields.

Last edited:

wciguy

Same experience here. Mine did not work when I first hooled it up. Reversed the field wires and it works perfect. Seems to be polarity sensitive. Much more stable than the original regulator.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I verified an MEP-016B will work with an SX460 VR. I wired the gen output output single phase 120 and set the jumper on the SX460 for 120V use.
Derf, would you please post up photos of how you hooked it up? Wire numbers or points where you made the connections would be a huge help.

Also, how/where did you make the taps for 120/240 with neutral?

Thanks!

derf

Here is a short video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDDutMmuYcE[/media]

I'm planning to mate the Yanmar to a larger gen head so I did not wire up the outputs. I just wanted to test the VR.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks