• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B Wont Start, HELP !!

andybritt2002

hey guys, I recently purchased a MEP-016B from GL. I changed oil, added fuel (it was empty), and hooked up 2 lawn and garden batteries for now. I pre-heated, and got it to crank. It would only start if I was pulling on some of the linkage for the throttle. I got it to run for about 30 sec and it quit. It would not stay running without me pulling the linkage etc. Now it wont start at all. I checked the fuel filter and that is dry. Im not really sure what to do now. I put the switch to RUN and opened the bleed screw on the fuel filter housing. Nothing ever comes out or makes any sound. I disconnected the hose on the injector and nothing is coming out. I checked all electrical connections and appears good. Im not sure where to go from here, any input would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

coyote62ny

sounds like you need to start by checking the fuel pumps may only have one my mep-003 has 2 main pumps and 1 aux. pump if there is no fuel to the injector it sounds like fuel filter pluged return line pluged or fuel pumps not pumping i dont know if this set you have has the same fuel pumps as my 003 but if it does there is a strained in the bottom of the pump the bottom of the pump comes off if you look at it you will see what i mean hope this helps

andybritt2002

I will check to see if pump is clogged etc, the filter looked pretty good. I just went out in the garage and messed with it some more. I put diesel directly into the fuel filter housing etc. I was able to get the generator started and it ran for about 5mins but I had to hold the automatic throttle. I ran it wide open for a bit too no problems.. checked fuel level in the filter housing and it was down maybe 1 inch. not sure if that should be flooded full or not or if its being replenished by the pump. Seems like the electronic aspect of it all isnt functional though. Since the automatic throttle etc isnt working, possibly not the fuel pump. Just wondering if theres a fuse or something I can check? The starter actuates every time no problems. Also opened the control panel and its in very good shape. Looks fairly fresh and nothing appears corroded/rusted. Everything is tight in there.

coyote62ny

on my 003 the fuel filters have a bleeder on top and you turn it to prime run and let the pump run until the fuel runs out of the bleeder on the strainer close that bleeder open the firsat filter bleeder until fuel runs out the bleeder and then do that to the last filter and wait till the pump slows down system primed then start if you have electric pumps you should hear them when you turn the master switch to prime run if you dont hear the pumps they are most likly not working check for the proper voltage at the pumps if that checks out and the pumps are not running the pump is most likly bad

Isaac-1

You don't have a MEP-016B, you have a MEP-016E which is a MEP-016B that has been refitted with a Yanmar 1 cylinder (L100?) diesel, someone just neglected to update the data plate on yours.

Ike

andybritt2002

just an update, had some time to mess with it yesterday. Fuel pump works if I use alligator clips and jump it off the battery. The electronic throttle regulator is not working either. Its not getting any power from the plug. Wires appear in great shape and everything looks connected in the head unit. Is it possible the low oil shutoff or low fuel shutoff is keeping me from working? I filled with oil, and its full of fuel, but just trying to rule those 2 out if I knew how to check. Just trying to get some ideas of where to move on to next. Ill see if I can find some documentation on the E version of the generator. thanks for that info Ike

Isaac-1

Your welcome, you may get more replies if you start a new message thread with the MEP-016E model name in it since the MEP-016B has a mechanical fuel pump and mechanical governor (not electronic).

Ike

IDM

Your welcome, you may get more replies if you start a new message thread with the MEP-016E model name in it since the MEP-016B has a mechanical fuel pump and mechanical governor (not electronic).

Ike
I have a MEP-016B and it has what looks like a retrofit electric throttle/govoner but it is not moving so where should I start to find the issue? is it connected to low oil or low fuel?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I do not think its a retrofit. Looks like all of them I ever saw, or worked on. So,

Have you downloaded the TM's for this gen set?
Have you tried the troubleshooting in the TM's
Have you looked at the wire diagrams?

IDM

I do not think its a retrofit. Looks like all of them I ever saw, or worked on. So,

Have you downloaded the TM's for this gen set?
Have you tried the troubleshooting in the TM's
Have you looked at the wire diagrams?
No I haven't gone as far as looking for a manual for it. not sure where to get one. I was hoping I could find a easy direction to look, like what drives this actuator.
I need to pull it off and hit it with som power to see if it works then go back from there I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks