• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 016D fuel pump question

ETN550

Anyone have the wiring diagram for the resulting conversion? (Not the engine diagram and not the TM for the gen side) My electric transfer pump that pumps from the belly tank to the engine tank is not working and it is not stuck. What's the little device mounted by the start switch in line with the pump wire? Is it a resistor to drop the voltage to the pump? Also there is a larger square electrical device on the pump wire. 2 of 3 units have it one does not? Just got some of these 016Ds from the GL. They are a little different than the 016B I'm used to. Picked up an E as well. Maybe I should collect the whole alphabet??? A-E Not much of a gas fan though.

derf

I have a USMC TM for the E conversion. It is 4 meg. I can email if you can't find it online. PM me your email if necessary.It doesn't have schematics, though, just instructions on how to convert from the Onan to the Yanmar, B -> E.

Attachments

Last edited:

ETN550

I have a USMC TM for the E conversion. It is 4 meg. I can email if you can't find it online. PM me your email if necessary.It doesn't have schematics, though, just instructions on how to convert from the Onan to the Yanmar, B -> E.
Hey how's it going? I'll PM you an e-mail to send it to. The D is not the same as the B conversion to E. However, in addition to my Ds I have one E waiting its turn to be gone over and started. I have several Bs and know thme pretty well.

Doug

derf

I have a D and an E. The D is an improved A and the E is an improved B. My E was actually an improved 701A but some panels were missing so now it is just a frame, Yanmar 10HP, and 3kW head. I think the Yanmar L100 deserves more than just 3kW so I'm looking for something like a 017 head for it to turn. I have a 30D36R (Pow'R Gard), too. I think the D is my favorite.

ETN550

Derf,

I think the military made a mistake by trying to convert the 701A to a Yanmar. The B with the Onan and the 701A both dump all of the engine cooling air out the top hole. When they stuck the Yanmar in the 701A they did not mod the housing to dump the hot air. I'm afraid they probably cooked a few before they realized this. The way the air exists the head and cylinder on the Yanmar it would be very very hard to capture it and get it out of the enclosure. That is my theory which is supported by a huge number of Yanmar E's in the auctions that have the frame drilled for the enclosure panels. I think they would rather have the Yanmar in the open frame than the Onan in the enclosure.

I'm just getting to know the D now and I too like it a lot. I am very impressed when it is compared to the Pow'r Gard. the PG will not accept much over 3kw at all and the voltage and speed drop off. This is with a 270cc engine. The D with the L70 Yanmar is only 290cc and yet I just ran one yesterday at a full 240 VAC 4.0KW for a one hour test. Total drop in frequency was 61.5 to 59.5 - very impressed. It did black smoke a little over 3kw but not bad. Love that real voltage regulator too. The Yanmar is a better cold starter too.

The D does have some quirks and I think we can improve upon it some and I intend to do that given some time to tinker with it. I'm going to post up some of my findings and hope you will chime in and fill some gaps with your electrical knowledge.

I agree, the E with a bigger gen head would be perfect. Is the one you are referring to using a 6 lead 3 phase head?

Doug

derf

Luckily it looks like the guy doing my E conversion stripped the starter stud and never finished the conversion. There was practically no soot in the exhaust. The 017 is a 3600RPM 5kW gas genset that at least one guy has mated the gen head to a Yanmar L100 with good results.

The Pow'R Gard unit is an off the shelf commercial duty gen. It wasn't spec'd by the government like the MEPs were. It is rated true to what it can do, unlike the MEPs which can do 1.5X their ratings at sea level. The 30D36R is a 3kW, not a 4.5kW like the 016D. On the other hand, 178lbs is a lot lighter than 285lbs. 12V is also a lot more convenient in some cases, too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks