• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016D fuel tank and starter?

rothroq

Has anyone tried a 12V to 24V transformer on the starter?

And are there and suggestions on a replacement fuel tank? The filler neck was distorted enough on mine to require a new cap, filter and tank. I've only found standard replacements without the extra taps and such.

Isaac-1

Why worry with 24V, it is a series wound starter motor, and supplies enough speed / torque to start the engine if the compression release button us pressed first when jumping from a 12V battery.

Ike

p.s. there is no such thing as a DC to DC transformer, the closest thing would be a DC to DC converter

Also does yours have a plastic or brass tank, if brass why not braze on a new neck

Last edited:

ETN550

If you are talking about the steel tank mounted on top they can be found on e-bay to fit the Chinese knock off engines. Search for L70 or L100 fuel tank. Some are sold with all hardware and filter. The big fitting that is on the bottom of the 016D tank is unique to the 016D. It appears brazed on the tank. Should be able to un-braze it an install it on the replacement tank after making a hole in the new tank to accomodate it.

6x6TRex

Has anyone tried a 12V to 24V transformer on the starter?
A 12V to 24V converter that will power the starter is going to cost way more than what you paid for the mep. You would need a couple hundred amp capacity converter to power the starter. Either use a bigger 12V battery or 2 smaller 12V batteries wired in series.

rothroq

Thanks for the info and tips! I'll try the 12V jump start.

The tank I have is steel and wanted a used replacement but if the tank has brazed fittings, I'll brush up on my torch technique and attempt the swap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks