• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 016D gauges in a MEP 002A?

ETN550

Question, could MEP 016D gauges be used on a MEP 002A?

(Yes, I understand they are smaller in diameter, but would they function?)

thanks!
Voltmeter - yes
Hourmeter - Probably not, but maybe. The 016D hourmeter is usually 120vac, not 24vdc. But it may be either. The 002a should be 24vdc.
Load meter - maybe. Both meters should have nearly microscopic font printing on the face near the peg on the high side of the scale or somewhere on the meter face. FS 200uA is common which is 200 micro amps Full Scale, If they match then yes.
Frequency meter - Same as Load Meter, 200 uA FS is common. If they do not match then the frequency transducer from the 016D can be used with the 016D meter and it will work. If in doubt of the place to wire the transducer in then it can be wired off of the convenience outlet

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. Greatly appreciated.
I have a couple 002As which could use a gauge and a 016D or two I might
be pulling apart to use the Yanmar powerpack on a different project.

Have a great weekend.

natem

Since Frequency meters are solid gold can a MEP be run without one? Or the better question is, how to bypass it without harm to the set?
I only ask because a ice storm is in the forecast in my area and I have a running MEP 002a less the frequency meter. I might need it.

dependable

You don't need to worry about bypassing frequency meter to run it, just make sure the wires from the transducer are taped off. But you should have a way of measuring frequency so you can set RPMs and make good power. If you don't have a multi meter, a Kill-O-Watt meter has a hertz function and they are pretty cheep and easy to find. Plug it into 120v outlet.

Isaac-1

Many cheaper (and some expensive) multimeters show false readings when measuring HZ on generator, so if you have not tested it on the generator you may want to do so. Adding a load to your measurements may help.

Ike

Rapracing

Kill-O-Watt meter. These things are great. I got one and liked it so much I bought 3 more just to have them around. When the generator is running I plug one into an outlet on the kitchen counter. I can monitor what is happening from the house. Voltage or HZ.

ETA: My Hz meter works on both units and it matches what the Kill-o-Watt says but it is still neat to have around.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks