• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016D ~ Just got one, but I'm too stoopid to work it.

TrailerTrashDood

Greetings. I just got an MEP-016D 3KW generator with Yanmar L70 diesel motor & Onan generator! I am very excited because I have always wanted a diesel generator, but couldn't find a decent one that I can afford, and won't buy one of those imitation, Chinese ones. It seems to have about 45 hours on it (although I'm assuming those are the hours on the diesel repower only). Everything seems to work fine and it's in outstanding shape for its age, but unfortunately, I seem to be too stoopid to work this generator.
I have an RV A/C unit on my van which does not draw too much power for the 3KW generator (I checked). The RV A/C runs off shore power, with a typical 30 amp outlet. When I use a reducer and plug the 30 Amp cord into one of the 110 outlets, within a few minutes it burns out the fuse for the 110 duplex outlet on the generator. Whoever had the generator before me had put 20A 32V automotive fuses in the sockets (that size automotive fuse somehow fits perfectly in the little bayonet holder things), but the manual for the MEP-016A (previous incarnation, but with some kind of gas engine) specifies a 15A, 250V fuse.
I'm assuming the diesel version would need the same 15A 250V fuses, as specified in the MEP-016A manual. I can't locate these fuses anywhere, except at an outfit in Vermont called Green Mountain Generator, who for the last week or so have not answered their phone or responded to any of my messages. (I'm not sure if they are out of business, or on vacation, or tied up in the basement, or what).
In any case, I need to get some decent fuses but can't find them. I can't tell if I'm burning the fuses because I'm plugging a 30 Amp receptacle into a 110 outlet and overloading it, or because its the wrong fuse, or probably both...? I really don't know anything about electrical stuff and don't want to take any dumb chances or push my luck. Its bad enough as it is... lol
Also I had the idea to have someone smarter than me, wire up some kind of box with a 30 amp receptacle & breaker, so I can plug the RV directly into the generator. (Thats all I really need a generator for, anyway.) I was lurking in this forum earlier and noticed someone had posted this~ http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...s/120-240-VAC-GENERATOR-PANEL-BOX-11-3306.axd ~which seems perfect for what I need. I think. I would assume that it wouldn't be hard to connect cables to the Load Terminals L1 & L2 to make Single Phase 120 Volt power, as per the manual. Although who can say? I sure can't.
I really just want to power my RV and/or occasional construction stuff with this generator. I keep trying to read the manuals and look up whatever I need, but since I don't know much about electricity I'm kind of stymied. Can anyone give me some good advice?

rustystud

First off "Stop" using the outlets on the side for that large of load. You need to connect to the terminal studs on the side of the box. The Aux. outlet is for small loads like a light or power drill. Also you need to read and then reread the service manual as this generator is not your normal MEP. The later ones all use a reconnection switch which takes out any error in what phase you will be using. I also own a MEP-016D and plan on modifying it soon to be 120/240 single phase only. Right now you need to be careful about grounding your unit. The manual will tell you how to properly ground for whatever output you will be using.

Ray70

I can't imagine why you are having a hard time finding fuses. Looks like Radio Shack, Grainger, MSC and a ton of other places have them. They're all over ebay too, a couple bucks for a 4 pack. Are they plain 1/4" x 1 1/4" glass tube fuses, like a 1960's car only 250V??

steelandcanvas

Also, don't use that 30 amp to 15 amp reducer/adapter when trying to run your AC! There is a reason the manufacturer put a 30 amp plug on the end of that power cord. That adapter should only be used to maintain the batteries in the off season, cooling the fridge and food down before a trip or when using the RV without AC.

TrailerTrashDood

@Rustystud: I've realized how dumb that sounds by going back and re-reading my post. But I couldn't help it, I was really wanting to use my new genset right away, even though 30A in a regular outlet is obviously ridiculous. Also, I've printed out those manuals and am taking your advice.
@Ray70: I have no idea what the 15A 250V fuses I need look like, but I'm pretty sure its some kind of ceramic fuse that doesn't look like a car stereo fuse in a glass tube. I did buy some 15A 250V fuses at a hardware store and was told that there are several different kinds of 15A 250V fuses, which are manufactured for different, specific applications. But whatever 15A 250V fuses I put in there can't possibly be worse than the 20A 32V fuses that were in there when I got it.
@Jonathan: Thanks for the good advice. Im working on getting an electrician to install a 30A box & breaker on there.

If you see this response twice, its because I wrote the first one from my cell phone this afternoon, but it didn't post on here.

seek

I just went though what you face. I have the mep 016b. They started out as A and progressed to D. I can only imagine they simplified yours. The advice rustystud gave you on grounding is life saving important...read and understand how its done.

On the fuse mine came with 12a cermanic fuses per the manual. Mine was like new when I got it but it had 15a fuses in it. Green mountain is selling those fuses for $19 each, let them stay in the basement. That guy might decide to keep your money for a while until he can get down to lowes. he's not like Saturn surplus. Go down to Lowes and look for microwave replacement ceramic fuses. Take your fuse with you and they come in two packs. Buy a handful. The nsn number your chasing is no better than what the mentioned microwave fuse offers you.

The earlier sets required neutral jumpers depending on how you wired it. And that changes again if you interface with your house. I bet yours skips some or all of that but you still need to understand how yours works. A suggestion is to study your manual and stare down your generator until what you read jives with what you see. Lot good people here that can be helpful.

There are steps to take each time you use your generator. I made a step by step for startup and shut down. I love mine I am sure you will love yours

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks