• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016E/MEP-016D Secondary Mufler selection

jas67

I would like to add a 2nd, larger muffler to a couple of my generater sets. I was thinking that a smaller automotive type mufler might do the job,but figured htere was more to the selection process than just putting any old mufler on. I know that bigger isn't always better. What I want, is to quiet the exhaust of these loud 3600 RPM screemers. One is an MEP-016E, powered by a Yanmar L100AE, which is a 10 HP, 406cc single cylinder diesel, running at 3600 RPM. The other, an ETQ DG4LE, powered by a chinese clone of the Yanmar L70AE, a 7HP 296cc single cyinder diesel, also running at 3600 RPM (same engine as the MEP-016D). If I get my MEP-016D (Yanmar L70AE) I'd likely want to quiet it down too.

Has anyone here added a secondary mufler, or replaced the primary one with larger one, and significantly cut down on exhause noice? If so, which one, and how did you select it?

I know the these engines emit a fair amount of mechnical noise fromthe cylinder and injection pump, and that exhaust is only part of the battle, but the exhaust is a big part of the noise that can be heard at distance.

Also, what would be a good choice to put on my Onan 6.0-DJB (1.0L 2cylinder diesel running at 1800 RPM), which has a very similar engine to the MEP-002A?

Thanks,
Jay