• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 018a 10 kw

oliverw

Found a regulator like you pictured, want to use it on an 017a 5 kw I have. Could you pass along the connections, as the gen had the older puck type regulator, and am not sure how to correctly wire the new one, aside from the 3 jumpers as per the instructions

RIrvin

Best I can do is pass along pages from ™ on this for 5KW. If you need the entire ™ on the 5KW look at the WIKI or let me know. Looks like plate on side of VR should indicate which wires to connect to VR. (Diagram looks like 6 total not sure about the resistor shown) IIRC it was just three wires and a twist on cable on the end of VR. Manual review will assist you. I can photo my 5KW wires if you need it.

MEP017 VR Schematic.jpgMEP017 schematic.jpgMEP017 VR Diagram.jpg

oliverw

Schematics numbers match wire numbers on 5kw and once jumper wires are properly placed, it seems as simple as connecting wires 1 thru 6 to terminals corresponding to numbers in 2nd row on sideplate of regulator, correct? I have lots of surplus but this is my first surgery on generator. You are correct about a replacement vr, it is a newage sx460 and will get it on my 10kw as soon as it gets here. Thanks for your input

derf

An SX-460 should work on an MEP-018. If that red VR works, then I don't see why the SX-460 won't.
Search SX-460. I think they're down to about $25 on ebay.

derf

sw460wiring1.jpg018AVR.JPG

Old VR ------ SX-460
1 and 2 ----- 7 and 8 That's the 120V D and E on J2
3 and 4 ----- 1 and 2 That's the adjustment pot To pot R1
5 and 6 ----- X and XX That's the field G and H on J2

Last edited: