• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-018a genset parts

Kody

I have a mep-018a genset I got it about 2 years ago and haven't been able to get it going I think that the fuel pump is shot. I have been unable to find one in my search does anybody have a part number/link/any information that can help me find one? Thanks for any help.

I do plan on getting the tri fuel conversion to support propane use as well but I still want the fuel pump. Also are there any other parts I shold have on hand for this? (Other than a tanker truck full of fuel)

dependable

I have a mep-018a genset........Also are there any other parts I shold have on hand for this?
If you actually need a generator, and are not collecting vintage military gear for it's own sake, then you should not put much into the 018. I have one out back I bought cheep too. They use a lot of fuel, make too much noise, and have been known to have "end of use" failures in the gen head. If you want an MEP of same capacity, you would be better off with a MEP-003a or a MEP-803a. They run diesel, but will use 1/3, or better, the amount of fuel and will be possible to maintain, parts wise.

Kody

Not at all new to military equipment. I have this genset mostly just because a good friend gave it to me (wife put her foot down) I have a honda I run for my house use and a small Briggs I use for my mobile use. There is a good chance this will sit and only get started up for the purpose of anoying the neighbors with the occasional use when I need more power.

Mikex52D

I'm new on here. I work for a hvac company in branson,mo. I'm an ex army 52d. Haven't messed with a generator since desert storm. Anyway my boss has a mep 018a. I need parts,where to get a spark plug socket,spark plugs,etc. It doesn't have military fuel filter. Still has strainer. Plus I forgot what size batteries (cold cranking amps) do I need? It has two 410 cca bats on it. But I can't get them to maintain 18v when I crank the set. It has sat for a while. Thank you

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok Partner,

Have you downloaded the books from the SS TM forum? All the info about tech data you need for the sets is in the books. The spark plugs are available in the internet. Several sources. Type in the NSN in your browser. A normal deep well socket works to remove or replace the spark plugs. The military used either a 24 volt battery, or two 12 volt battery for this set. The same as for the MEP-002A or MEP-003A. There are batteries available for the set, (real army batteries) or you can substitute civilian ones. Put the NSNs in your browser. Read some threads for the 002A and 003A about batteries, and what kind to use if you go for the civilian batteries.

You are probably not old enough to have seen this set in use, while in the army. It went out of the system in 1975? or there abouts. Check the battery charging regulator on the side of the set. It has a glass fuse in it, and should also have a spare under the plastic cover.

Charge your batteries up BEFORE you try and start the set. It is also possible to start the set with a pull rope. I would take the carb off and soak it in carb cleaner for a few days before trying to start it. Open the control panel up and look into it to check that all the relays are in it.

Mikex52D

No sorry a regular deep well socket will not work. So I cut a 7/8 socket and welded the piece I cut onto another 7/8 socket
Now I got a super deep well socket. Thanks for the info. I already figured out all of it on my own.

osalsa

Guyfang, thanks. Fact is, I'm looking for one of the stock carbs found on the genset: a Tillotson OM25A, to run in my 4A084-4 engine. This engine used the OM25A back in the 70's(?) and that is the carb I need. I do have the Zenith carb I pulled off the 084, but would rather not use it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Are you missing a carb? Or just need a rebuild kit? The kit is not a problem. The carb is a bit more problematic. I will keep looking.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am offshore but have a carb that I pulled off of a brand new unit. Can't say for sure if its gaskets are dried out but has never had gas in it (still had preservation tag on it.

osalsa

Dwnorton1, if you can take a picture of your carb, I can probably tell if it is the one. Gaskets no problem. Also, the carb itself, if it is an OM25, should display the ID on the exterior. Sounds like it will take a long swim to find out!

Guyfang

Staff member
What I need to know is is it missing? Or bad, and you want another one. If it's there on hand, then what we need to do is look at all the part numbers inscribed on it. I looked at the tillotson web page and OM-anything, doesn't exist.

osalsa

Guyfang, I don't have the OM25A carb, or any part of it. As far as numbers go, I have in my possession a Tillotson OM24A, and that designation is stamped onto the rim of the intake flange. The OM series of Tillotson carbs is rather old, and I believe, discontinued. There were quite a number of them produced in a variety of sizes, often used for outboard motors. The OM25A was used in earlier 4A084 engines. Later versions of the 4A084 engine, like the one I have, came with the Zenith carb, but I noticed that the more recent 4A084 Army manual actually depicts a carb resembling the Tillotson OM25A instead of the Zenith. The OM24A which I have, is (or was) actually the carb used in the smaller 10 hp 042 military engines. Oddly, it has the same intake diameter as the OM25A, with perhaps a smaller venturi for the smaller engine. I recently learned of someone with an MEP-018A with an OM25A carb, and that is what led me to the Steelsoldiers site.

My application is a small homebuilt aircraft, which two days ago received its FAA airworthiness certification and is ready to fly. The engine is a 4084-4, and the carb is my OM24A. My engine actually runs "ok" with this carb, but it will run much better with the OM25A. It also runs ok with the Zenith, but my throttle linkage setup prevents me from using that. The Zenith is also not as suited for an engine on an aircraft.

Thanks for your help!

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, Now I have a better understanding.

Indeed, Tillotson has discontinued the OM line of carburetors. Have you by chance called them? It cant hurt, and some old fart there might have an idea where to get one, or if maybe they have one squirrelled away someplace.

I found a reference to it being used on a TA-4J aircraft. Find that hard to believe, as that is a jet.

You could not order the carb itself, in the military. Only the kits, with all the mounting hardware and gaskets. PART NUMBER: 13214E8195, (NSN: 2805-00-984-4765) and 13214E8201. And these are not Tillotson carbs. Yes, the picture shows something that appears to be the Tillotson, but the picture is just for reference.

About the only place I find any reference to this carb is in aviation forums.

Question. What was the difference between the OM24 and OM25? Just jets? The overhaul kit in fle.bay, does it have the jets? The listing says its for both carbs. But I haven't looked.

I have to study on this some more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks