• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-018A Won't Shut Off

Guyfang

Staff member
We're good Tom. How are things in your neck of the woods? I picked it up from a guy I did some work for. Actually bought a gin pole truck off of him and he said "I think I've got something else you may be interested in."

Now for my next question: Is the S2 toggle switch a "divided" switch? That is, is the right side of the switch not connected to the left side. I thought I had a bad switch and replaced it with an off the shelf on-off-on toggle switch and now it won't start. I have checked resistance between the negative battery cable and the contacts of switch S1. Less than an ohm of resistance between battery cable and common of S1. Meter shows open between battery cable and start terminal of S1 when in start position. Meter also shows less than an ohm of resistance between common and start terminal of S1 when in start position.

Just what switch are you talking about? S2 is the ammeter phase selector. That should have nothing to do with the start function.

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, I was looking in the MEP-017A book, because the MEP-018A schematics are so rotten. I thought they would be the same. They are not.

I do remember that the S2 is a DP, double pull switch. And no, I do not remember it as being divided. Did you write up how it was hooked up originally? The wire diagrams suck. They are almost 50 years old. I am going to see if I have an older TM someplace. The old TM's had more info in them.

Guyfang

Staff member
[h=2]Part number MS35059-21

SPECIFICATIONS[/h]
REACH CompliantYes
StatusActive
Switch TypeTOGGLE SWITCH
Actuator TypeLEVER
Body Breadth19.05 mm
Body Height26.92 mm
Body Length or Diameter33.27 mm
Contact AC Max Rating R Load20A@115VAC
Contact Current(AC)-Max20.0 A
Contact Current(DC)-Max20.0 A
Contact DC Max Rating R Load20A@28VDC
Contact Voltage(AC)-Max115.0 V
Contact Voltage(DC)-Max28.0 V
JESD-609 Codee3
Manufacturer SeriesMS35059
Mounting FeaturePANEL MOUNT-THREADED
Operating Temperature-Min-18.0 Cel
Operating Temperature-Max66.0 Cel
Switch ActionLATCHED
Switch FunctionDPDT
Terminal FinishTIN
Termination TypeSCREW

It is an ON, OFF ON type, made by EATON. Write them a mail, and ask for a schematic of the switch.

rebel_raider

That's what I found too. That it was just a regular ON-OFF-ON toggle switch. I found no mention of the contacts being divided. The reason I replaced it was one of the common contacts would not contact no matter what position the switch was in. So like I said in my earlier post I replaced that switch and the set wouldn't start. I put the old switch back in just to be sure and nothing worked with the old switch, not even the panel lights. I finally tracked it down to not having a path to ground from the G terminal of the round plug from the engine. I tracked that down to the shielding on the magneto wire was not connected to the engine to provide that ground. I connected that shielding to the screw on the magneto case and now it starts AND stops with the switch. Thanks for all your help.

Guyfang

Staff member
I thought about this all day. As the wire diagrams are crap for the 018A, if you ever have to do a little more work on the gen set, take the time to draw simple diagrams of the switches and what nots, and in what direction they are mounted. Add the terminal numbers, and wire numbers if you can read them. Might save you trouble one day, if you unhook something and forget how to rewire it. That's what I am doing with the MEP-802A and 803A. Don't have to do it all at once, just when ever you have a few seconds, or have to work on it. Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks