• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-025a - Inverter Recommendations

Timberwolf22

I just had a MEP-025a 28v DC Generator dropped off and I am looking for some recommendations for an Inverter to allow me to use for some AC applications.

The MEP-025a has a 2 post [+/-] DC connect for power and I was considering something like this:

VoltageConverters.com - 24V DC to AC 2300 Watt Power Inverter

But that was only 24V DC input.

Not finding much commercial grade over that and I don't want to fry the inverter on the first try.

The MEP-025a starts up runs fine and looks to be generating power based on the DC voltage guage.

Thanks,
Todd
ttew22@mail.com

Keith_J

If you are running that inverter off that generator, use a good battery bank in between. Two 100 amp-hour deep cycle batteries would be fine for 30 minutes of silent power at 2300 Watts.

I have that inverter. Works great, just being a modified sine wave, motors like fans run with a bit more noise. I'm looking for a 025a generator to make an efficient generator.

PeterD

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A large battery-powered UPS (24v version) makes a great inverter. Used UPS's with bad batteries can be cheap. Sizes range from 500W to well into the multi KW range. Simply connect the UPS battery input cables to your generator-charged batteries and don't plug in the AC cord. The UPS sees an AC failure and runs.

I have one each 1500W and 2500W UPS in service like that. I recall a thread that touched on this subject.

If I had one of the 24v DC generators I'd search for a rotary UPS, an MG (motor-generator) set. The 24v gennys have abundant amps so a little inefficiency could be tolerated. A rotary inverter has nice sinewave output and is tough as nails.

Bob
WB4ETT

Triple Jim

Exeltech makes top quality true sine wave inverters. I have several, and they're industrial quality and well protected against overload. I see 24VDC versions on eBay regularly, for a lot less than the new price. Most are in the XP series that goes up to a 2000W unit. I don't know if you need a single large inverter for your application, but one or two 1100W inverters could do a lot. These will put out double that intermittently. I've started a 3/4 hp motor with one 1100W Exeltech inverter.

As stated, a healthy battery between the generator and inverter would be a necessity. The 24V version of the XP1100 draws 45.8 Amps at full load. The specified nominal input voltage is 27.6, with a maximum of 33 Volts.

Timberwolf22

Thanks for some great ideas.

Looks like I have a few items to pick up and now a leaking fuel line to fix to get the MEP-25a "fully functional".

I plan to build a seperate battery box and then connect the inverter - this will let me use the batteries with other power sources.... such as the solar panel project that is also "in the works".

Thanks,
Todd
ttew22@mail.com