• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-1040 - "misaligned" fluid line connector, but no leak

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks cross threaded but every 1040 i have has it that way I will get a picture when i get home. I even looked through other Govplanet listings to see if they were the same and they all seem to be that way. I have models made in 2013 and 2014.
here is one from a random govplanet pic
1699451013260.png

pontiacgearhead

It looks cross threaded but every 1040 i have has it that way I will get a picture when i get home. I even looked through other Govplanet listings to see if they were the same and they all seem to be that way. I have models made in 2013 and 2014.
here is one from a random govplanet pic
View attachment 910050
You were right per that note, that this is how they are. It has to be like that to route the (oil drain?) hose between the oil pan and bracket.
I only found one drawing in tech manuals with the 90 degree fitting from engine (there could be more), but it doesn't seem to be the same setup as the dipstick isn't there. I didn't search the parts manual.
I wasn't planning on 'fixing something that ain't broke', but am curious from a manufacturing angle about that part ... looks cross-threaded and has a dipstick tube welded to it.

pg 0126-3.JPG

pontiacgearhead

I assume the reason it looks funny is because the nut is not threaded onto the 90 rather is part of the 90 and then threads onto the hose that comes through the oil dip stick and is sealed with an oring that in the image below from the parts diagram
That's a different diagram than shown in my manual, dated 6/1/2011. Do you have a link to yours? (maybe dated 6/1/2016).
MEP-1041-TM rev2016.JPGThis describes it but I couldn't find a download link.

pontiacgearhead

When it starts leaking, then fool with it. The more you fool with something, the more probability it will get FUBARED.
I wasn't thinking to mess with it.... genset owner checks it every time before starting it, but it's (of course) always dry, because that's how it's designed.
I'm more tempted to order that elbow for close inspection, but it's likely expensive. The o-rings seal it, but it looks like it's been machined and re-threaded (or cut and re-welded/brazed) at an angle so the drain hose goes behind a bracket.

Chainbreaker

That just looks kinda odd on so many levels!

Dip Stick on engine?... Oops we might need that; we'll just add an external fitting to accommodate one in the drain line.

Gosh, now we can't route the line to clear the pan & frame with the drain hose incorporated fitting coming off at tight right angle. No problem...We can just rethread or reweld the drain fitting at an angle.

Dang... now it doesn't clear the frame member.... OK, just add a relief-cut in the frame to clear it.

But it works obviously! :unsure:

Last edited:

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a different diagram than shown in my manual, dated 6/1/2011. Do you have a link to yours? (maybe dated 6/1/2016).
View attachment 910074This describes it but I couldn't find a download link.
My diagram is from the TM section at the top of the page. 24p parts page available to everyone here at the forum

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks