• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-1070A assist request (VFD)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, I was waiting until I got pics and permission from my Chief. Got both today, so here we go. (Keep in mind, I'm generator 'illiterate')

My Volunteer Fire Department has received a MEP-1070A, Generator Set Diesel Engine 60kW 50/60Hz. We are looking into getting it wired into our building to serve as a replacement for our current backup generator. The issue is that is a 3 phase generator, and our new building is 1 phase. They are looking into working with the power company for a solution, but I figure that there's an answer on here on how to make this work for us.

The generator it is replacing is a mid 20kW generator, and it is not sufficient for powering the facility during extended outages.

I will be procuring the TMs through work.

Help a brother out!

And yes, pics attached (if you see this within a few minutes of me submitting, hold your horses, I'm typing on the laptop and adding from my phone)

Attachments

Scoobyshep

You can power a single phase service off of a 3 phase generator. Voltages will be slightly different 240 vs 208 98% of the time equipment wont care. Efficiency wise you loose 1/3 of the capacity. It is also best to get some form of load on the unused leg (2 loaded phases and 1 with no load is not good on the windings) a few heaters or halogen flood lights will help there.

Is this going to a manual or automatic transfer switch?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can power a single phase service off of a 3 phase generator. Voltages will be slightly different 240 vs 208 98% of the time equipment wont care. Efficiency wise you loose 1/3 of the capacity. It is also best to get some form of load on the unused leg (2 loaded phases and 1 with no load is not good on the windings) a few heaters or halogen flood lights will help there.

Is this going to a manual or automatic transfer switch?

I mean, that's making it essentially a 20kW generator, right? That doesn't do us any good. Where it sits will not be conducive to running extension cords to power something. They are looking to have this be a 'turn key' power solution, as far as I understand it currently.

Unknown if auto or manual transfer switch.

Scoobyshep

I mean, that's making it essentially a 20kW generator, right? That doesn't do us any good. Where it sits will not be conducive to running extension cords to power something. They are looking to have this be a 'turn key' power solution, as far as I understand it currently.

Unknown if auto or manual transfer switch.
Loss of 1/3. So a 60 kw is useful to 40 kw

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to get into ETM yesterday, and kept getting an error message.
They changed it to AESIP and accounts are all FUBAR. I got mine realigned, but haven't gotten anything to show I have access. Figured I'd give it a few days and try again at the end of the week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks