• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-112A controll systems question

hello i bought a mep-112a for parts to put on a mep-002a i want to take the left over control system and mount my onan mdjf on the skid and use the original controls for that unit.

question what parts are 400hz specific in the control system? and can any of them be adjusted to work with a 60 hz genset also are both the armature AND rotor as well as the magniciter all 400 hz specific? or are one of those 3 usable on a 60hz machine?

Scoobyshep

hello i bought a mep-112a for parts to put on a mep-002a i want to take the left over control system and mount my onan mdjf on the skid and use the original controls for that unit.

question what parts are 400hz specific in the control system? and can any of them be adjusted to work with a 60 hz genset also are both the armature AND rotor as well as the magniciter all 400 hz specific? or are one of those 3 usable on a 60hz machine?
Stator is defiantly different

Guyfang

Staff member

question what parts are 400hz specific in the control system? and can any of them be adjusted to work with a 60 hz genset also are both the armature AND rotor as well as the magnifier all 400 hz specific? or are one of those 3 usable on a 60hz machine?
The 400 hertz Volt regulator is compatible to the 60 hertz model. Just have to hook it up differently. The main gen is NOT compatable. For the rest of the parts, you need to look in the -24P and see which UOC, (usable on code) is 400 hertz compatible.

What is a "magnifier"?

The 400 hertz Volt regulator is compatible to the 60 hertz model. Just have to hook it up differently. The main gen is NOT compatable. For the rest of the parts, you need to look in the -24P and see which UOC, (usable on code) is 400 hertz compatible.

What is a "magnifier"?
that's a typo was supposed to be magniciter a friend has a 60 hz stater if my rotor and magniciter will work with it also what is the usable on code ive tried to find parts manuals for the 400hz model and can not to compare part numbers.

Guyfang

Staff member
that's a typo was supposed to be magniciter (I still am unfamiller with what a Magniciter is, but not important) friend has a 60 hz stater if my rotor and magniciter will work with it also what is the usable on code ive tried to find parts manuals for the 400hz model and can not to compare part numbers.
OK, lets start at the beginning. You bought a MEP-112A (400 hertz) for a parts machine. Thats a 10 KW. You want to use parts from it, to put on a MEP-002A (60 hertz)?

Now, lets talk UOC. Usable on code. The UOC is a way to I.D. parts, as to what MODEL they fit on. The 10 KW, gen set comes in two different models. The MEP-003A and the MEP-112A. So go to the -24P TM, and turn to page (PDF reader page #) 21. There you will find info on the UOC. You will see that the 400 hertz model, (MEP-112A) is given a CODE "B". That CODE "B" is to I,D. pats that ONLY go on the 400 hertz model.

Practical exercise: Then turn to page, (PDF reader #) 34. Find the meters, item numbers 16, 17, 18 and 19. then go down a page number, to page 35. There is the listing of parts. Notice, that item #16 has no UOC code listed to the right. BUT, item number 17, is listed TWICE. One listing shows the UOC of A&C, (60 hertz models) and the second #17 shows a UOC of "B", a 400 hertz model. The same is true for item #18. Its listed twice, and to the right is listed the UOC. So if you want to see what parts on the 10 KW gen set are compatible to the MEP-112A, that's how you find them.

Scoobyshep

OK, lets start at the beginning. You bought a MEP-112A (400 hertz) for a parts machine. Thats a 10 KW. You want to use parts from it, to put on a MEP-002A (60 hertz)?

Now, lets talk UOC. Usable on code. The UOC is a way to I.D. parts, as to what MODEL they fit on. The 10 KW, gen set comes in two different models. The MEP-003A and the MEP-112A. So go to the -24P TM, and turn to page (PDF reader page #) 21. There you will find info on the UOC. You will see that the 400 hertz model, (MEP-112A) is given a CODE "B". That CODE "B" is to I,D. pats that ONLY go on the 400 hertz model.

Practical exercise: Then turn to page, (PDF reader #) 34. Find the meters, item numbers 16, 17, 18 and 19. then go down a page number, to page 35. There is the listing of parts. Notice, that item #16 has no UOC code listed to the right. BUT, item number 17, is listed TWICE. One listing shows the UOC of A&C, (60 hertz models) and the second #17 shows a UOC of "B", a 400 hertz model. The same is true for item #18. Its listed twice, and to the right is listed the UOC. So if you want to see what parts on the 10 KW gen set are compatible to the MEP-112A, that's how you find them.

I think magniciter is referring to the voltage regulator, Its what onan used back before electronics were widely used. Just a thought

ok thanks this seems like what i need where can i find the UOC for these 2 models can i find a collection on this site like there is for the onans on smokstack?

ps to clarify i needed parts on the motor for my mep-002a but plan to mount a mdjf "marine water cooled onan" basicly a water cooled mep-003a i wont to mount it on the 003a's skid and use its fuel system and controls to run the mdjf

Guyfang

Staff member

ok thanks this seems like what i need where can i find the UOC for these 2 models can i find a collection on this site like there is for the onans on smokstack?

If you follow the red highlighted instructions, that is how you find the UOC for ANYTHING in the military. Go to the TM. All the TM's you need to work on a 002A or 003A are in the SS Technical Forum.

If you follow the red highlighted instructions, that is how you find the UOC for ANYTHING in the military. Go to the TM. All the TM's you need to work on a 002A or 003A are in the SS Technical Forum.
ok awesome thanks once i was able to find the manuals section your walk threw makes more sense!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks