• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 120V Output, Balanced vs. Unbalanced

derf

Is there any good reason NOT to ground one side of the 120V output? From the pic it looks like you have 60V to ground on hot and neutral if you don't. Grounding one side to the gen frame and then grounding the gen frame to Earth seems to be the safest thing to do. Any thoughts?
Pic taken from Primary Power for C-E Systems pdf.

balvunbal.jpg

Triple Jim

I'd certainly want a neutral and a hot for 120V power. 120V equipment is designed to see that. Many/most 2-prong plugs are polarized for that reason.

derf

I think I'll bond one side to the chassis/frame inside the box. I'll make that side the neutral on the outputs. The pic calls it a power source neutral.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main question is this - Are you connecting the generator to an existing power distribution system that already has a ground system. If the answer to that question is YES then you wouldn't bond the neutral to ground at the generator but you would extend the existing system ground to the generator.

If you are using the generator in a situation where it is not connected to a distribution system with a grounding system then you would bond the neutral to the frame at the generator and drive a ground rod at the generator attaching it to the generators ground.

derf

It's only a 3kW so not planning on feeding any panels with it, just using the on board outlets.
Don't have a ground rod, though.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's only a 3kW so not planning on feeding any panels with it, just using the on board outlets.
Howdy,
I would suggest you purchase a ground rod, and drive it into the ground where you will have the generator sitting when you want to use it. Yes, your generator will then be a separately derived system and needs to be grounded. Then run your extension cords to where you need.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 on the grounding. In addition code requires a GFCI outlet or an approved inline GFCI cord to use a generator stand alone. I had to update the convenience outlet on my MEP-003 to GFCI.

LuckyDog

The on-board outlets only take the 120 from 1 winding. Do not overload that outlet. Make up a box with outlets and wire it to the output lugs.

This is the panel I started with then modified to take advantage of the full power of my 002A. Generator Panel

ETA: (Of course, I don't know the model of your generator. You might be fine with the on-board outlets.)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks