• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP -16B 120/240 Problem

jgp

Gentlemen, .I seem to be having an issue with my mep 16b and would really appreciate if someone could point me in the direction as to where my problem could lye. I'm in south FL. and was without power last week and needed to hook it up in 120/240 configuration to run my well, refrig. and some lights. I hooked it up to a 20amp double pole breaker to back feed the panel, placed the selector switch to the 1 phase 240v position and ran a jumper wire from L0 to the ground lug on the generator ( this unit did not have it). Prior to installing the breaker in the panel, I tested the current at the breaker, it read as follows, L1 to L2 = 240v, L1 to L0 = 120v, L2 to L0 = 120v. Forgot me mention that I ran a wire from L0 lug of generator to the ground bar of the panel.( Confirmed that the neutral bar and ground bar were connected in the panel) With all the breakers in the panel in the off position, I energized the panel and checked the voltage on the panel, the results are as follows A lug to B lug = 240v, A lug to ground = 120v, B lug to ground = 120v. NOW THE PROBLEM, I flipped on one 15 amp 120v breaker ( introducing a load ) and checked the voltage of the panel, results as follows A lug to ground = 4volts and B lug to ground 236 volts. Turned off the 15 amp 120 breaker and the panel is back to normal. I had two electricians from work take a look at it to make sure it was wired in right ( it was ) We than moved the selector switch in the generator to the 3 phase position, leaving L3 on the generator without a wire and repeated the steps above, this time all worked as it should. Electricians said it looked like something with the generator when placed in the 1 phase 240v configuration.

Back story on the generator. Bought it from G.L. a couple of years ago. It appeared to be a reset that was never put back into service, I say this because the hobbs showed 6 hours, there was a manual in a plastic bag zip tie to the frame as well as new fuel hose and inside the control panel there was a card in a plastic bag with the reservist name, base and the date of inspection. Strange thing is that there was no jumper from L0 to ground installed when it was reset.
I hope I've explained the problem well. Thanks again.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you downloaded the manuals for this set from the TM forum?

You said you had a couple electricians from work look at the set. Were you using the TM and schematics when you all checked it out? Be aware, the Volt regulator is an interchangeable volt reg, for about 3-4 different generators. The wires are hooked up different for some models.

Look at the TM-5-6115-615-34 for the troubleshooting procedures for checking out the Volt reg and main generator.

Do not move the voltage reconnection switch while the generator is running. Damage to the switch is a very real possibility.

But first, Open the TM 5-6115-615-12 manual, to page (PDF reader page number) 49. Read the first two paragraphs, and see if you have made the right connections for your selected voltage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks