• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 3 starting procedure

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
since you have no load attached to it, your % load gauge is not going to move. As Bob said, the frequency gauge could be messed up a little bit, check the transducer and gauge for loose and/or dirty connections, It's a VERY common problem with the frequency meters. If you have a good electrical multimeter, you may have a frequency setting on your multimeter. Use the convenience receptacle on the front of the set with your multimeter and set the speed using the frequency setting of your multimeter.

As for the voltage gauge not showing anything...you sound like you are very new and unfamiliar to these sets. Are you sure you have the amp/voltage/phase selector switch in the correct position to read the voltage from the proper phases? There is a selector switch that looks just like the start switch...it is located on the right side of the control panel. If you have the large "output reconnection switch" (located under the metal flap beside the main breaker) set for either 120 volt single phase or 120/240 volt single phase operation you'll not see any voltage on the volt meter unless that smaller selector switch is in the proper position. For either of the single phase operations, you'll need to have it in one of the two extreme clockwise settings...if you look at the markings around the switch you'll notice that these two clockwise positions are for the single phase output setting. This switch reconnects the metering devices of your set to give you proper metering depending on how you have the generator configured to run.

All of this information is in the TM as Carl mentioned.

Diamondjim11

You guys are on the ball, Yes I am new to these big monsters. I have a 5kw gas and it is a lot simpler. Anyway I checked the output at the recepticle and used the throttle to get 120v at the recepticle. Then I checked the BIG leads under the cover and that is set correct, 120v on legs L1 and 120v on L3.The volt gauge started to show the correct reading 220V approx.The Hz gauge still is not reading. I think it may be stuck/bad. So with the volts in the correct range is there a way to check the Hz.? I would like to take a moment to thank everyone for their help and input, and for tolerating some obvious "newbie" questions.:)
Jim

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you misunderstood what I was telling you to do. The generator will produce 120 volts at the convenience outlet any time the set is running anywhere close to 50 Hz or above. The throttle will have no effect on this. I say no effect, but if the generator is running too slow, the voltage regulator will be trying to make 120 volts, but will not have the speed needed to excite the coils enough to do it, and this is where you will be replacing or repairing the voltage regulator because it overheated and failed. You need to check your multimeter and see if it has a frequency (Hz) measuring setting. If it does, learn how to use it on a receptacle in your house and read the 60 Hz from your utilitys power supply. After you do that, then go to your generator and use the same method to set your throttle to produce 60 Hz from the generator (is simplest terms, this is the only thing that the throttle effects). You'll see how the throttle position affects the frequency, but not the voltage.

Isaac-1

If you don't have a multimeter that shows frequency you can buy a plug in device called a Kill-A-Watt for about $20 at many hardware stores, harbor freight, etc. these are designed to show how much power a common 120V plug in device is using, they will show watts used through the plug, frequency, and voltage along with a couple of other things.

Ike

ps expect about a +/- 2HZ variation on the generator with or without heavy load, many people suggest setting generators that have mechanical governors like yours at 61 or 62 hz no load, so it will drop down to 60 hz under medium load.

Last edited:

Diamondjim11

Ok, I checked my multimeter and it does not dhow HZ. I will try to get one tomorrow. If I can't find one I will look for the Kill a watt thing. With that test it should rule out the panel gauge as being faulty as well.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will not rule out the gauge as being bad. The frequency is metered through a transducer mounted inside the control panel, then it goes to the panel gauge. The multimeter and/or kill-a-watt meter will only allow you to get the speed set so you don't screw up something else while you're playing with the generator. Unless you want to use the meter/kill-a-watt device all the time, you'll want to fix the frequency meter.

Diamondjim11

Roger that. I am going to try to pick up a gauge and if that still isn't working I will need to get the transducer. I have been wading through the TM's that are posted in the tech section, and now that I am off 3rd shift for a while maybe they will make more sense. I aplogise if some of the earlier posts(yesterday) sounded a little "off" , I hadn't slept in 30 hrs. Thanks again for the input. By the way whereis the easiest place to find fuel filters?

Diamondjim11

Ok, it now runs and makes power. I replaced the HZ gauge and it now works. I checked it against the Kill a Watt meter and I have it set. I see now what you mean about the throttle moving the Hz around. Now I just need to clean everything up and get it wired in. Thanks for all the help:smile:
Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks