• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 362

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one! I’ve been eyeballing these for years....finally pulled the trigger.....and I might be ready to take a bite of the #2 sandwich (Unit DOA).

But first, the filters you’ll need on the MEP 362 - primary & secondary fuel.....and a gearbox filter. The primary fuel filter is the Donaldson...about $10. The secondary is a Parker Hannifin filter....type 15, 10 micron ...$80. The gearbox filter is a spin on Fram 3600....about $10. See pictures for part#’s.

I bought the generator from GP ...pictures showed it was in pieces, so I knew this would be a project. What I hadn’t counted on....were the top covers being left off for years (the 28v generator is locked up solid). I’m hoping this is the only unresolved issue (I was able to wire it back up, schematics were spot on)....but it looks like this unit was a “parts” unit for the filters/voltage potentiometer. It attempted to “start”, but when the starter pulled the voltage down under 20v, no rotation....time to pull off the 28v generator.

Having fun!

Attachments

Last edited:

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s a Tiernay TT10 .turbine engine. It runs at 50,000 RPM with a gear reducer to 12,000 RPM for the 28v generator. The trailer is aluminum (luckily the only items that have corroded are the zoos? screws and the 28v generator. The prestolite starter is sealed, gearbox complately sealed ..except for the missing breather cap on top...where rain got in a 1/8” hole....fingers crossed). It uses Aeroshell 500 turbine oil (4 qts) in the gearbox.....and I’ve flushed it twice at $15/quart (low viscosity....almost like mineral oil).

It’s set up to start helicopter turbines at 10KW.....so If I can get it running, might make an “electric” go cart using 24v motors (unless I can get an afterburner on the exhaust to work for thrust, but likely not enough power). Also considered using the exhaust to melt the 1/2 of ice we get on our access road.

This is a “have fun, see what we can do with it” project. Now if I owned a UH-1 .....

pr0l1f1c

How has this project gone? I haven't worked with a tiernay turbine before but from what I'm reading its very similar to the solar t62 down to how everything is setup as well as size, the difference is spec that the gearbox runs at (mechanical output is much higher! This tiernay turbine seems potentially more powerful than most of the turboshafts but has been derated to 140 horsepower for long running durability as a generator)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks