• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-531 runs but no 120 VAC power output

baja

I am a newby so figured I would start with small and move my way up. I now have a MEP-531 that had 81 hours, changed the tubing, primed it, ( have a old diesel truck so these two issues I am use to), then changed the oil and it started right up. Runs smooth and no smoke. It shows 120VAC on the panel. But no power on the service outlet and none at the power terminals, and used my voltmeter to test the terminals (inside and at service box) and the service outlet. Reads zero voltage AC.

I have not checked the panel meter on the genny with my voltmeter yet, but when off it shows zero and generator running is showing 120VAC. Before I have to page through all the technical manuals I have downloaded though I might ask, Is there a reset switch/circuit breaker? that i am missing?

note, did a forum search and very little is written on the 531.

baja

da... figured it out, the printing on the machine was gone, the switch is labeled d contactor, i thought it was for jumping it with the nato connector. but could see the faint letters that said LOAD. switched on while running and all is good. tested with several high amp power tools and all is good.

We have a major hurricane not far away, (linda) last year one was taking this path and did a swicherooo and nailed us good. We were without power for over 2 weeks. My honda eu1000 was ok but could not run my small ac units, as I area cool. So my next question is gravity feed extra fuel for this generator to run it 24/7. IE return line being an issue. Any suggestions that work out better than others? if I hook it to a 30 or 55 gallon plastic drum is the slightly higher head pressure an issue. can the return handle being 3 feet up?

Last edited:

RIrvin

My Tech. Man. on page 673 (section 0165 ) shows Aux Fuel setup for this unit. That may help you decide how you wish to approach the issue as it only uses about a third of a gallon per operating hour..

baja

thanks, with your post went to that page for guidance. they kind of omit the return line not sure what is going on about that. They do show mounting the tanks above the regular tank level, a good sign for me.

I do like the bulb primar action. I remember someone on my ford truck diesel forum they used one, will see if I can get a diesel one for boats. Obviously not for now. I might set up a float type fill system for now at about half way to full tank. They are used down here for water tanks so available.

baja

After thinking about it the page 673 setup is basically a syphon hence adding virtually no head pressure. So if I can get a bulb somehow (down in southern baja it is no different than being an island very hard to get things down here fast and because the population is so small not a lot of options to walk into a store.)

I will modify my existing tank with a special cap that will allow a double barbed 5/16 to drop down to keep it at 1/2 to 2/3 full and use a 30 gallon drum.

220px-SiphonStillWorksWithBigLeg.svg.png
This hurricane Linda is following its projected path so it appears I have missed the bullet. We are getting 20 mph gusts right now. But this is just the start of our peak part of the season generally the next 30 days is when we get slammed.. Hope Linda sends some rain/water to southwest USA as it goes north.

I have been doing my power consumption peak reading the last week to see what I can run in staggering the start cycles of them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks