• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701 Hertz problem

coyotegray

MEP-701 Hertz problem ***Problem Solved***

I have a 701 3KW that runs great. The first min or so the freq is steady but then it starts to jump around on my digital meter. The meter on the set stays steady. Voltage is steady.

Any ideas..?

Thanks,
Andy.

Last edited:

jbk

get another meter and try. if the engine speed is changing (hertz) you should be able to tell. if it sounds the same and the onboard meter stays steady got to be somthing up with your meter.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frequency of these kinds of generators is set purely by the engine speed. There aren't many generators on the market that use frequency regulation ( with the exception of the newer inverter type generators). If the speed is staying steady, and the on board meter is steady, then you have an issue with your other meter or the connections where you are getting your reading.

coyotegray

Son of a b..!! OK, with a load on it the hertz settled down. It ran for about an hour and a half and it shutdown and now will not start.

It has a Yanmar engine. The throttle solenoid cuts out and it will not start. If I manually hold the throttle it will run fine. Oil is full.. It has the ASK Enclosure..

It there a temp/oil sensor on these? Hard time finding docs on it..

Thanks,
Andy.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Your meter is probably getting confused by the distorted waveform, is the other generator that it works fine on an 1800 or 3600 rpm unit? 2 pole 3600 rpm generators like the MEP-016's have inherintly more distortion than 4 pole 1800 rpm units.

Ike

coyotegray

Your meter is probably getting confused by the distorted waveform, is the other generator that it works fine on an 1800 or 3600 rpm unit? 2 pole 3600 rpm generators like the MEP-016's have inherintly more distortion than 4 pole 1800 rpm units.

Ike
The others are a MEP-002 & 3A.

Andy..

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Son of a b..!! OK, with a load on it the hertz settled down. It ran for about an hour and a half and it shutdown and now will not start.

It has a Yanmar engine. The throttle solenoid cuts out and it will not start. If I manually hold the throttle it will run fine. Oil is full.. It has the ASK Enclosure..

It there a temp/oil sensor on these? Hard time finding docs on it..

Thanks,
Andy.
I've never worked on one or actually seen one in person. But it should have both, a temperature switch and an oil pressure switch. Almost all generators do have these. Simply because, unlike all vehicles, the operator is not sitting right in front of the gauge panel watching things. So in order to protect the engine, the switches are usually in place.

Start looking around the cylinder head somewhere for a temperature switch. And wires coming from anything around the oil pan and or filter area should lead to an oil pressure switch.

coyotegray

Problem solved..

It was the throttle solenoid. This also explains the hertz problem. I'm thinking that it was causing a small RPM fluctuation as it was failing. The hertz are rock steady now.. Fortunately I have a second, identical generator on the same trailer that works. I was able to go through a process of elimination swapping parts to test. Lucked out that it was the first thing I tried..

It was even commercially available from a place called MurCal....!! Woohoo..

It doesn't look like these motors have any sensors at all. I couldn't find a oil pressure or temp sensor.. If anyone knows different please post..

Some info I have across...

Yanmar Parts Catalog PDF with diagrams...
http://dawinfo.com/L-AE-Series-Parts/L40AE-100AE-Parts-Complete.pdf

Thanks,
Andy..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks